12 - Bittersweet Drops of Jealousy - Part 1

I storm off into the garden while gritting my teeth and cursing at the useless high heeled shoes, the heavy dress, the pointless accessories and my lack of a wakizashi.

I want to scream.

I want to roar.

But I cannot.

All I can do is grit my teeth. It's okay, it's just a kid being stupid... it's not okay!

It is not okay!

I'm from a clan where three year-old kids have enough willpower and courage to match a grown man in this one! Lord Tepet! Teach your son proper manners!

RAAAAARGH!

...I take a deep breath.

Just think of this as a scorpion clan party. They always do everything in their might to make you lose composure...

Yes, that will do. Just assume it's hostile territory and things will be easier. The tension slowly releases from my shoulders, but a swirl of anger is still curled up in my stomach like a trapped lion.

"Lily-sama!"

I lift my bitter gaze from the grass and spot two girls running towards me in their big floofy dresses.

My stomach tenses further at the sight of them. I'd nearly forgotten. I am the villain of a story, everything is here to make me lose my mind and look bad...

Those two girls are my 'followers' in the book. Two nameless girls standing behind me with crossed arms to make me look scarier and more like a villain.

They run up to me with worried eyes, and the first one to reach me is Magdalin. She's the smallest one of them by far, and honestly, she is far smaller and scrawnier than she should be for her age. Lily probably never noticed. Magdalin brushes a strand of her creamy brown hair back to cover a streak of cyan hair strands by her temple. She's clearly trying to hide the colorful strands, but it stands out quite sharply. This means her mana has strong wind attributes. Her pretty round eyes are a beautiful deep grey and they peer at me with a mixture of worry and child-like admiration.

"Lily-sama! Are you okay?! Lionel-sama was so cruel." She tears up a bit as her gloved hands take mine. It's midsummer. I glance down to her simple green dress and then back to those white gloves with discomfort.

"Soleil-sama too! Even though Lily-sama is so pretty today," Bridgette chimes in.

I turn my attention to Bridgette. She's about my height, and her dress is almost as stupidly elaborate as Lily's used to be. The biggest difference is that there's barely any lacing. After all, lacing is far more expensive. It has been replaced with a lot of small ribbons though. The sun colored dress is all out of place from running though. The ribbons here and there have gone up, and a flap of cloth had flipped over. Magdalin may be smaller but apparently she runs faster... or some shoes are getting in the way... Bridgette's pale blonde hair is done up with a nice piece of jewelry to match her reddish eyes. It's a good sign of attribute. Both Bridgette and Magdalin are lower nobles, but since they both have physical signs of their attributes this puts them at good advantage socially.

I end up staring back blankly at their adoring and hold in a sigh. Bridgette is definitely trying to copy Lily's gaudy style. At least she is better and choosing colors than Lily was.

"I am fine, I merely lost my head for a moment at their horrible behavior." I step up to Bridgette and start fixing her clothes since she seems ignorant to the mess.

Bridgette gives a somewhat troubled and embarrassed look. Let's be honest, she likely isn't able to tie the ribbons herself if she's anything like Lily was.