10 - A Maiden And A Lady

I've been under house arrest for three days, and with all honestly I am going mad. Partly from being indoors constantly, and mainly from my new personal maid, Ameline. You see, Ameline is actively scolding me the moment I decide to do something unladylike by this world's standards, such as working on a spell to make Lumere summon an ice katana.

At first she had been assuming I was painting weird symbols or fairy runes, but I'd taken a while to ask Lumere to make a sample sword she had barged in while I was test swinging it. Granted, I am merely eight so perhaps testing out a sword twice my size may have been seen as quite dangerous.

Even so...'Swords are not for ladies!'

As of the moment Ameline said that the first time, I decided to ignore the non-noble chattering at me. What kind of samurai would listen to a heimin, a civilian, saying they were not allowed to wield a sword?

I am perfectly aware that women here do not wield swords, but rather fans, pens and tea cups... so I take great care in never asking for an actual sword. In fact, I only use my magic for it. I should be praised for my adaptability.

Another problem is that Ameline is annoyingly socially perceptive. She actually went pallid just at our eyes meeting. Of course... I'd just sent a floodwave through our house of a strength that is apparently to be done by a child. It seemed Ameline actually understood her place just then, but since I am not to act that way here I went through a good deal of trouble to seem as friendly as possible, and for the first time tried giving a brilliant smile at her. She actually had the guts to faint... She has been like this ever since she woke up too.

'A lady should not do push-ups!'

A lady was nearly assassinated a couple of weeks ago, so a lady will defend herself.

If not for my seemingly never-ending composure I would have sent her out the room with another tsunami.

Hopefully, if I ignore her heeds to quit practicing self-defense then maybe she'll give up in the end.

---*---

"Ojou-sama really has such beautiful hair." Ameline brushes my hair back gently as she tries to put my hair up, and though she is good at it, she still irritates me. Once she's done, she really does try her best at putting cute accessories in my hair, and bring out any semblance of femininity in me. I'm wearing slacks, a shirt and vest though, so there is absolutely no need for these futile actions.

I cross my legs in irritation. Sitting on chairs just doesn't feel the same as sitting in seiza...

"Ojou-sama, a lady shouldn't cross her legs or cross her arms so seriously," a certain voice sounds from behind me.

"A lady is in her private quarters," I reply back while furrowing my brows. Of course she presses her lips into a pout at me.

"You cannot think like that Ojou-sama, or you will mess up in public."

I stare at her through the mirror and press my lips into a thin smile.

"Who was it that passed out in public, Ameline?"

She purses her lips again.

"How could I not. To see the young Lady of the Celeste family dressed as a boy and catching ladies in her arms. If I do not stop it now you could end up cross dressing."

I already am. Had this been home I would've had her fired, but right now I cannot afford to make more problems for my family. I'll have to endure it.

At my visible irritation with her, Lumere swims closer and gently brushed up against my cheek. A discreet effort to cheer me up... Even Lumere is urging me to be patient with her. I held in my sigh and gave a half smile to Lumere.