Chapter 14: Instances of fear

Start from the beginning

"Well, mortals are stupid."

Danny couldn't resist a laughter, and Serana then joined him. It was...nice to see someone so relatable, someone who could understand how it felt to be the beings they were. Smiling, Serana put a hand on his cheek. It was cold, but so was her slim and pale palm. For them, no chills had bitten their skin.

"And you are not a mistake," the vampire mumbled. "Don't let that idiots get to you, you are still better than all of them combined."

Phantom put his hand on hers. "You really think so?" His ice blue eyes turned hopeful. 

Serana nodded. "Who else would travel with a stranger, abandoning all his plans just to help?"

"It's nothing, I told you." 

"For you, maybe. I will always owe you."

"Well, you have already done something I would consider a reward," Danny smiled. "Maybe we should just repeat it and be even?"

The vampire's eyes widened. "You really want that?"

"And nothing less..." Danny flushed a little bit, looking away. "If you don't mind, of course," he rambled.

Both were a bit embarassed and reluctant, because it was not an impulse. By the irony of events, in the situations like this one there was much less confidence, despite their mutual consent. Slowly their faces moved closer to each other, making them feel the slowed breathing, before the undead kissed yet again. 

But surprisingly it felt better than the last one. It was overflowing with passionate emotions and just as nagging questions. This time it wasn't an accident or momentary unthoughtful action. They both were willing to do that, and it had certain implications, the thoughts of which were filling their chests with immense warmth they had been unfamiliar before. They pulled each other closer, Serana dug her hand into the half-ghost's soft raven hair, Danny wrapped his against her thin, but elegant frame. After a couple of minutes they separated, looking into each other's eyes. 

"There. Now there is no one to barge in," Phantom smiled.

"Yes," Serana put her hair behind her ears in a slight daze. 

"Look," Danny suddenly started, rubbing the back of his neck. "I take it that we haven't done this because it is just a friendly sympathy between us."

The vampire felt a limp within her throat, and Phantom was actually speaking while trying not to pay attention to his. That was the moment for them to talk everything over. Serana could only nod.

"Tell me...do you like me to that extent?" 

A pause followed.

"I do," she said quietly and took his hands, and put her head on his shoulder.  Danny's lips turned upwards as he kept her close. Serana wasn't the one to talk a lot about these things. Everything was as clear as a day and without empty and pointless gibberish, preferred so much by many of those who thought of themselves as the greatest poets to ever roam Tamriel. And Danny loved it. 

"I like you too, Ser. But...you know that I won't be here forever. I have to get home one day."

"We will figure out something," The vampire said with unwavering confidence. 

"If only I was as sure as you are...but we can try."

Serana smiled, still relishing being in his strong embrace. After a couple of minutes under the snowfall she came up with an idea and smirked.

"Hey," Danny looked at her. "How about we...give a payback to that idiots?"

Phantom grinned. "I have already corrupted the first victim of my own future cult."