6

When I woke up, we were an hour out from landing in Los Angeles. I was grateful that I slept as long as I had. The cabin lights were not on, and the sky dark outside. I looked at my watch. It was roughly 3 a.m. back in New York and only just hitting midnight in Los Angeles.

I waved down the flight attendant.

"How can I help you?" he asked, politely approaching my seat.

"Do you have any leftover meals I could eat before we land?"

"Not at this time, ma'am. We're preparing for our arrival," he said, with a tone that sounded snobby.

"Please, I'm starving," I pleaded.

"I can get you some nuts."

"You can get her a meal," Ryan ordered, looking up from his in-flight movie.

"But sir," the flight attendant started to rebuttal but instantly stopped himself at the look of Ryan's expression. "I'll be back in a moment with your meal," he said to Ryan, more than he said to me.

"Thank you," I said quietly.

"Look at you, Ryan. Coming in like a knight in shining armor," Adam teased, looking over me to his brother.

"Fuck off, Adam. I can't let my assistant go hungry." Ryan waved his brother away and replaced his headphones, returning his attention to the movie.

"You must be amazing," Adam whispered, leaning towards me.

"Why? What do you mean by that?" I asked, confused.

"I've never seen Ryan be so quick to the rescue for anyone," Adam explained. I looked at him quizzically but didn't have anything to say in response.

Moments later, the flight attendant returned with a hot meal for me. I thanked him, but he ignored me and walked off. He obviously hated that he had to cave. I ate my food and hoped to God that he didn't spit in it. It was pretty good too, for an in-flight meal. It was Salisbury beef with arugula salad and a soft bread roll. It hit the spot, and I was able to eat it all within ten minutes.

"My, you were hungry." Adam smiled in amazement.

I didn't respond.

When we finally landed, I was sure to thank the flight attendant again as we walked off. He was a little more pleasing and probably happy I was getting off his plane. Adam and Ryan walked along either side of me as we headed for the baggage claim. I didn't have anything, of course, so I just took a seat nearby and read my magazine while the two waited for their luggage to come around the conveyor.

Thirty minutes later, we were walking out the airport doors to a gust of wind. It was warmer than the cold, bitter weather we left back in New York. Parked nearby was a large Cadillac SUV, with a driver holding a sign with the name "HERMAN" written on it. Adam approached the driver, who greeted us warmly and proceeded to open the back door. He insisted that we get in the car while he loaded Ryan and Adam's luggage.

Adam gestured for me to get in first. Inside were seven seats. I moved to the back row while Adam and Ryan took the two seats in the row ahead of me.

"Are you comfortable back there?" Adam asked, turning around to look at me.

"Yes, quite comfortable, thank you." I smiled at how considerate Adam was. Aside from that first night at the lounge, I had never really talked much to him. He seemed very different, personality-wise than his brother.

The driver climbed into his seat, and we were off to the hotel. Adam and Ryan chatted amongst themselves for most of the ride while I stared out the window, looking at the different sites that past. I had never been to the west coast, and I was surprised to see so many homeless people in tents along the drive. Probably, even more than I had ever seen at a New York soup kitchen.