Chapter 21

The early morning breeze lifted a light curled strand of brunette hair from her shoulder. It landed just above her jaw, tickling at her cheek. She whined, attempting to blow away the hair.

"Hey"

The voice annoyed her deeply, and she squeezed her eyes closed tighter in hope to get back to sleep. But the cap of a boot came into contact with her side, nudging her and bringing more hair into her face.

"Luna, wake up"

"What?" She whined, finally reaching up to swipe the hair from her face and look up.

Clarke stared down at her with her hands on her hips, concern splashing within watery blue eyes. Chestnut eyes flicked past her at the empty space behind the blonde. There was an absence of another person. A person who was very close to both of them.

"Where's Lexa?" She questioned, sitting up and rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

"I don't know" Clarke's hands slipped from her hips to hang loose at her sides. Luna noticed the blood smeared across her hands, buried dry beneath her finger tips.

"What happened? Who's blood is that?" Luna gripped Clarke's wrist to get a closer look.

"My horse's. Maybe one of Pike's guys?"

"What happened? Where's Lexa?" Luna asked once more

The blonde paused, shifting her weight from foot to foot as she glanced down into the grass "She went after Pike. He ran and, well she went after him."

"Alone?" She exclaimed, earning a nod from the other girl "And she isn't back yet?"

"No. No she isn't"

Pushing herself to her feet, Luna stretched out her tired muscles and started towards the trees "I have to go find her."

"Woah, wait" Clarke held out her arm to stop her "You need to stay"

"Why Clarke? She could be hurt! Or dead for all we know!"

Clarke flinched at her words. Even though she still managed to get Lexa back, it still hurt to hear her name and that word in the same sentence together. "I know" she whispered

"Then why are you so conflicted on letting me help her?" She yelled "She's all I have!"

"Luna"

Clarke spoke quietly, calmly. As if her words would cool off her anger quickly and effectively. It didn't.

"Look behind you."

With a loud puff of a sigh, she turned on her heels. At first, she had no idea what the blonde girl was trying to say. But then she lowered her gaze, and understood.

Raven lay on her back, head turned to the side and rested on her red jacket. In Luna's opinion, she was most beautiful when she was sleeping. She looked more at peace, looked her age, and most certainly didn't look like she was in pain or had been tortured far more than once in her time down on earth.

But what caught her off guard was the sleeping baby that lay on her chest, hand gripping tightly to her grey tattered shirt. Natalia.