Chapter 6

Lexa looked so calm when she slept. Every muscle in her body relaxed- a welcome change to her usual tense posture. She was, ultimately, beautiful. 

After finalising their plans to destroy the bridges near Polis, Octavia had suggested that wasting their time was not an option. As soon as Raven finished the bombs, they would pursue their plan. Which meant they had to leave. Now.

However, no matter how many times Clarke pushed herself to wake Lexa up. No matter how many times she paced back and forth in the room, double checking their bags to delay herself, she couldn't bring herself to do it. Lexa had such a firm grip on her heart that even something as simple as waking her up in the morning felt like a knife of guilt to her gut.

So with Clarke being Clarke, she gave into Lexa's soft features and heavy breaths, surrendering herself back into the heat of the bed. Her fingers ran under Lexa's shirt, skimming over the clear-cut abdominal muscles that were coated in smooth skin. She let herself move closer, resting her head on Lexa's chest just above her heart. It was a steady beat that was projected through Clarke's mind, settling her from the unwelcoming thoughts of the commander's death.

She couldn't stop the smile that leapt to her lips as long fingers began to weave through the blonde waves of Clarke's hair. Nor did she want to stop it.

"You cut your hair" Lexa mumbled through the tired tone of her voice.

"You don't like it?"

"I do. After all, at least it is still blonde. Not red or another strange and exotic colour" The brunette kissed the top of Clarke's head.

"But?"

"But I still run my fingers through it expecting there to me more. It takes me by surprise."

When Clarke tipped her head up to look at Lexa, she was greeted with a warm and real smile. And it almost killed her to have to cut their moments of early morning light short. "Come on. We have bridges to burn, Commander"

Clarke slapped Lexa's knee playfully as she picked herself up from the bed. She slung her rifle over her shoulder, catching a glimpse of Lexa as she ever so slowly rose and sluggishly moved around the room in search for clean clothes. One thing Clarke knew for definite, was that she was one of the only people to see this side of Lexa. Yes. The tired, sluggish, lazy, fed up but love struck Lexa was one of her personal favourites.

"You look tired, Lexa. Did you sleep okay?" Clarke tilted her head.

"I suppose. I don't remember being awake." Lexa shrugged, rubbing her eyes "Did you see me awake?"

Clarke scoffed, a smile on her face "Lexa, I'm pretty sure I slept more than you. Just... if you can't sleep, wake me up okay?"

"Okay Clarke" Lexa mumbled as she tightened the buckle on her belt. Clarke knew that her agreement meant nothing, though, and Lexa would never be selfish enough to wake her if she couldn't sleep.

"Lexa" Clarke warned "I mean it"

"I know you do, Clarke"

"Then promise me you'll wake me up" Clarke placed her hands on her hips and narrowed her eyes at her lover.

"You know I can't do that, Clarke" Lexa kissed her cheek, sheathing her sword and grabbing her hand as she walked past her "Come on, Octavia will be enraged if we're late"

Clarke continued to pester Lexa into her promise as she followed her into the hallway. "Yeah but Lexa you need to pr-"

"Clarke?"

"I'm serious you need to-"

"Clarke!" Lexa raised her voice ever so slightly to get Clarke's attention.