[ 2 ] welcome to war

shipping: skephalo - skeppy (zak) x badboyhalo (darryl)
type: angst, action
au: scifi, aliens, that stuff. oh, and there's a war going on
warnings: blood and violence, I guess, but nothing too bad. also, beware of kinda out of character characters.

X-x-X-x-X

- darryl's pov -

I ducked behind the ruins of a wall that once belonged to a fancy and very high building - which was now gone entirely, destroyed by the P-14 grenades that rained down on the foreign city not too long ago. The "Doomed", as we soldiers called the fleet of small and fast space ships, were the first thing an opposing army saw from ours, and for a lot of them also the last thing they saw. Stacked with explosives, the fighters attacked the enemy standings, their cities and everything they could find, and at last crashed themselves in order to do as much damage as possible.

Welcome to war.

Almost forty-eight hours after explosions shook the foreign planet, the ground troops were fighting. My company was number 459-A and we were in the outer areas of the city, away from the front, hunting down some smaller groups of extraterrestrials who kept on sabotaging and attacking our main forces out of the blue, immediately retreating and disappearing somewhere afterwards.

I took a deep breath, adjusted my helmet and peaked above the crumbling wall behind me. Nothing. Not a sign of these strange, humanoid aliens. But they had to be somewhere around here. Sinking back against the dusty stone, I looked around the destroyed house.  Everywhere I saw other soldiers of my troop hiding behind low walls and stones, waiting for our leader to give a command or for the enemy to finally do something. This was always the worst part, in all of my years in the army, there never was anything worse than waiting for an attack.
Luckily, we didn't stay much longer, some quick signs of our company leader ordered us too move forward and to the right, towards a smaller, but almost entirely intact building.

I gripped my gun harder and got up, following my comrades as quick and quiet as possible. All my senses were on alert, I kept on scanning the black and blue and dusty surroundings over and over again, waiting for somebody to suddenly attack us. But nothing happened, all of us made it over to the house safely. We got inside, taking stands at the windows, entrances and the huge hole that formerly was the eastern wall.
I sought shelter below a stairway leading up to a storey missing a roof, walls and at some places even a floor. A few others joined me, looking just as dirty and done as me in their formerly white and blue uniforms. We were all dusty and tired, awake for almost thirty hours with only a few naps. I was about time we found these aliens and sent them to hell.

I sighed, leaning against a pile of rubble. I didn't dare to sit down, we could be attacked at any time. So I tried to stay careful and awake, but I couldn't stop my mind from wandering as soon as I spotted a certain soldier across the room. Even with the helmet on he was easy to distinguish from the others since he had light cyan lines all over his chestplate, roughly forming a diamond.

Zak. God, how I hated him.

He was selfish and arrogant and most of the time annoying as hell and I couldn't do anything other than developing a huge crush on the guy. Which was just great.
Of course, he did not know any of this - he'd probably laugh at me or ignore me even harder or just shoot me, who knows - and I'd rather fight a bunch of aliens bare handed than telling him. Also, we were in the army. Being openly gay was probably not my best shot at being somewhat respected by my comrades and superiors.
I sighed, once again realizing my life could definitely go better.