Despite being occupied by his examination, Hadrian did notice Lord Malfoy had placed a book in the Leech's cauldron. Said book overflowed with the same darkness that surrounded Voldemort's 'face' only intensified eightfold. It also had a sentience and began to subtly leech off the Leech the second it could.

'Tom's diary...' Magic murmured in his mind.

'Why would Tom keep a diary?'

'He would fill it with all the wonderful things that happened at Hogwarts so he could re-live those memories while at the orphanage. It was his way of escape... it was also his first horcrux- I tried to tell him not to but- he didn't listen...' She seemed lost in thought for a while.

'He used to love spending hours on end just pouring his heart out into that book... I used to peer over his shoulder sometimes and see it was all in parseltongue, he used to be so confused when I read it out loud - he thought I was just an ordinary human that couldn't understand reptiles like he could, didn't even know about the deities' she chuckled, before once again becoming silent, reliving long lost memories of the past. Hadrian was left standing in the now empty isle of the shop wondering why you had to be a creature to even understand any creature-speak, let alone speak it yourself. Still, the deities did reportedly have a tendency to make everything far more complicated than it needed to be.

——1——

The next two weeks were absent of anything noteworthy, and all too soon Hadrian found himself back on the Hogwarts Express, joined - as ever - by Hermione and Ron, as well as the toad-keeper or 'Nev' as they had begun calling the second year 'Puff. After buying out half the sweet trolley and stealing all the mints for himself, the four managed to get a whole 3 minutes of peace before they were interrupted.

"Look at you Potter! Surrounded by Mudbloods and blood traitors, disgusting! They should be locked away far from civilisation where they belong!" Lockhart was on the train looking for them and Draco hates him and directed him away from the group.

"As much as I appreciate your visit, Malfoy, I would appreciate it more if you were to leave immediately." Thanks for the warning, but you should probably go now.

"We'll meet again soon Potter." See you tonight?

"I'll look forward to it Malfoy." I'll be waiting.

Lockhart did eventually find them - much to the annoyance of half the group and the joy of the others - and seemed convinced that Hadrian adored him like everyone else, even promised a special mention in his next book. It took all of Hadrian's self restraint to not shove him out of the window. Thankfully, Luna came to the door to rescue them.

"You know, the nargles don't like it when people lie." Came that familiar, dreamy voice.

"I'm sure they don't, and who might you be miss..?"

"I am the embodiment of magic itself." The fraud just smiled uncertainly.

"Of course you are... Well! I'd better be going now, so many others to meet, so many autographs to sign." He quickly fled the compartment, staying as away from Luna as possible. Hadrian was just grateful that the claim was so outlandish and her nature just right that no one would ever believe her.

Luna opted to remain with them for the rest of the journey, and took a seat next to Hadrian. Hela flew to her lap demanding pets, the deity was all too happy to obey, even muttering stories in Avisspeak; the humans didn't need to know that the quiet clicks, chirps and trills has any meaning. Having learned the language at young age, Hadrian often found himself coughing to cover his laughter, much to the worry of his three friends.