42. It's Not Over Yet

Luckily, we hadn't stayed much longer at the party. Uncle Eric had taken a liking to the butterbeer, and upon recommendation by a fellow guest he had also tried the Firewhiskey. Well, let's just say that it's not the best combination.

After Lucius' speech Uncle Eric couldn't stop but praise Lucius for his kindness to invite us to his great party, what a wonderful man he was and that he was always welcome at our house in London. He also apologised for misjudging Lucius as he'd expected him to have a thing for his wife, but that was all in the past now because Lucius was 'such a great sport'. This would all have been great and all, if only Uncle Eric hadn't announced it to the whole room...six times.

Before the seventh time Aunt Jeanie and I grabbed Uncle Eric by the arms and made our way to the front door. To my discontent we passed Pansy on our way who was gloating like a small child at the promise of an ice cream. This is going to haunt me when we're back at school...

Lucius followed us to the door to say goodbye and I noticed he and my Aunt shared some looks of understanding.

What's going on between those two?

"Will you manage, Jeanie? I can come along, if you please?" Lucius offered.

"No, no, that's fine. Thank you, Lucius. It was a wonderful party. I apologise for my husband's behaviour. He's not used to drinking so much."

"Don't worry, dear Jeanie. It was a pleasure having you here, and Evelyn too, of course! I hope you had a good time, too?"

"Oh yes, thank you, sir. Please say my goodbyes to your wife and Draco." It's funny how easily adults take a liking to you when you say polite things.

"I surely will, Evelyn. It was a pleasure having you."

Lucius opened the door for us and I noticed that before he closed it behind us again, he rubbed my Aunt's back ever so slightly. Aunt Jeanie didn't respond to it though and we quickly apparated back home.

I could tell you what happened next, about what happens when you apparate when drunk. But I'd rather not get into the nasty details so I'll just skip that part and move ahead to the beginning of term where Tracey and I were devouring our sweets stash on the Hogwarts Express. I'd just told her about my Christmas gift and after that there was no stopping her. She just had to see it.

"A Firebolt! Evelyn, you've got a real Firebolt!" Tracey exclaimed as she unpacked the broomstick.

"Is that good?" I said with only half-interest as I chewed off the head of a chocolate frog.

Ooh, Dumbledore! I thought as I turned the collector's card that came with my chocolate frog around in my hand. I didn't have him yet.

"Are you even listening? I said that the Firebolt is the best broom EVER!" Tracey couldn't contain her excitement.

"Cool."

"Cool?! That's all you have to say? Are you even going to use it?"

"Sure."

"It's the fastest broom out there. Much faster than the Closet Broom 500 that you're used to."

"I know what you're doing and it's not working. I'm not giving it to you."

"Evelyn, come on. You're my best friend. Can I at least borrow it?"

"I'll think about it," I said playfully. Of course she could borrow it. It would be such a waste if it would just sit in my trunk for the rest of the year. Or even the rest of my Hogwarts period for that matter.

For the next few hours we continued snacking and telling each other about our holidays in peace until Pansy's Posse entered our compartment.

"Great to see you again, Ev. How's your uncle? He was quite the talk of the party after you left the party." Pansy laughed and her friends followed her example. She sat down next to me, invading my personal space. Millicent pressed herself down next to Tracey who vigorously protected the Firebolt, while Daphne stood by the door, preventing anyone from entering or leaving.

"How cosy," I said sweetly. "Actually, it reminds me about this time when I was sitting equally close to someone else. But don't worry, I won't do to you what I did to him..."

SLAP!

"How dare you!" Pansy screamed.

She hit me! I can't believe she hit me!

I put my hand to my cheek and I could feel it throbbing. I looked around the compartment. No way we could take on all three of them. I saw Tracey shaking her head at me and for once I agreed with her. Now's not the time, but we'll get them, somehow.

So instead of lashing out at Pansy - and probably giving her what she wanted - I put on a smug smile. To my happiness this infuriated her even more up to the point where she pushed and shoved me against the window. This bitch is crazy!

I noticed Daphne moving so that her body would prevent anyone from seeing what happened in our compartment. Millicent got up to help her friend, but so did mine.

"That's enough," Tracey said in a calm yet clear voice. Everybody looked up at her in surprise. She stood on top of her seat holding some kind of packet above Millicent's head.

"You leave us alone and leave this compartment, now, or I will empty this packet of Bulbadox powder on your friend's head. Am I clear?"

Pansy threw a fierce look at Tracey but held her tongue. She gestured Daphne and Millicent to follow her out of the compartment.

"It's not over yet, Evelyn," Pansy sneered before she turned into the corridor.

Once they'd left, Tracey and I had a fit of laughter. It felt good to turn the tables on Pansy for once.

"What's Bulbadox powder anyway?" I asked Tracey.

"It's something I bought at Zonko's. When the powder comes into contact with your skin, it breaks out in boils," Tracey grinned.

"You're so evil," I returned her grin.

The rest of the journey went well and we saw no more of Pansy and her friends for the rest of the trip. It felt good to return to Hogwarts. I couldn't believe it, but I was actually looking forward to continue some of my classes.

God, Evelyn, you're such a nerd now.

When I went to bed, I was a bit worried that the Posse tried to put something under my covers again, but Tracey was ahead of me. She warned them not to pull any tricks on us or they'd wake up in the morning only to find themselves covered in boils. This seemed to do the trick and apart from an evil stare, Pansy and co. left us alone.