10. The Hogwarts Express

Until I was reminded on the first day of school, that is.

Aunt Jeanie and Uncle Eric took me to King's Cross Station on my first day at magic school. Hogwarts. I wondered if I would ever get used to this name: Hog...Warts... Who the hell came up with that name? Like, seriously?

Anyway, we were walking up to platforms nine and ten—I was wearing my pair of red high heels and a denim dress to make a good first impression—but I didn't see any signs mentioning Hogwarts. Yet Aunt Jeanie was absolutely sure that this is where we needed to be.

"OK dears, follow my lead. Don't be scared now," she said, her voice thrilling musically. Don't be scared? What's that supposed to mean? She took my trunk from Uncle Eric and started running towards a brick wall that stood between the two platforms. I screamed her name hysterically. I mean, don't do crazy stuff like that!

But instead of hitting the bricks, she disappeared into thin air!

"Did she just disappear into that wall?" I asked an equally dumbfounded Uncle Eric.

"Uh...uh..." was all Uncle Eric could utter.

"Well, only one way to find out!" I shouted as I ran towards the brick wall. I closed my eyes when I was about to hit it, but the hit never came. Instead I tripped over my own feet—damn those high heels!—and hit the ground face-first. I opened my eyes and I saw a whole bunch of people standing on a different platform from the one I had just been on. There was a sign that read "Hogwarts Express" in front of a platform where a gleaming red train was waiting; one of those very old ones running on steam.

Just as I was about to get up, Uncle Eric came rushing through from beyond the brick wall and tripped over me. We both tumbled to the ground. Luckily, Aunt Jeanie was there to pick us up. Well, so much for my dashing entrance. I hoped beyond hope that no one of consequence had seen us.

But I was wrong. The wannabe rock star with the long white hair had noticed and came to greet us.

"Jeanie, Miss Evelyn, how lovely to see you again." Stay polite, Evelyn! Don't mention the hair... and definitely don't call him a woman again.

"Mr. Malfoy, it's good to see you again, too," I said, trying to ignore everything about him, while staying polite.

"Lucius, wonderful to see you again," Aunt Jeanie said with a big smile and she reached out a hand to greet him. Lucius Malfoy answered it by bringing her hand to his lips. You've got to be kidding me! What a pervert!

"Hello, I don't believe we've met." Uncle Eric stepped in and reached out his hand to the man hitting on his wife while putting his other arm around Aunt Jeanie. Aunt Jeanie quickly pulled back her hand and Lucius ignored Uncle Eric's hand completely.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Eric. This is Lucius Malfoy. He and I were friends at Hogwarts. Lucius, this is Eric, my husband," Aunt Jeanie said. Friends my arse. That did not look like a regular friendship to me! And hadn't Aunt Jeanie said something the previous time we met the guy? He was the love of my life. Right, that's what she said. Oh, please, don't leave fun Uncle Eric for a man who obviously spends way too much time combing his hair in the morning!

"I see," was all that Lucius said in an icy tone. Yes, Lucius, Uncle Eric is a Muggle. If you've got a problem with that, you've got a problem with me.

"Father!" a white-haired boy shouted towards us from a few feet away. His hair was of the same colour as Lucius', but luckily it was a lot shorter. It was combed to the back, which wasn't a good idea if you ask me. He had a very pointy face which reminded me of a mouse. There was also a woman standing next to him, probably his mother—and thus Lucius' wife? Her hair...Now, seriously, what the hell is wrong with this family? Her hair was black and white! And not in the sense that she is getting older, no. Her hair was dark on top and white below and at the sides. Yuck! Seriously, how could anyone walk around like that? Just dye it or something.

"That's my son, Draco. As I understood from our talk the other day, he's in the same year as dear Evelyn," Lucius said. "Perhaps you'd like to meet him?"

While I was trying to decide how to decline politely, Aunt Jeanie exclaimed what a wonderful idea it was. And so we walked towards Lucius' family. I could see from his face that Uncle Eric was just as excited about this idea as I was.

We trudged towards the rest of the Malfoy family where Lucius introduced us to his wife and son. His wife was called Narcissa, like the flower, I guess. She seemed to prefer looking at people with her nostrils.

His son, Draco, tried way too hard to make a good impression on me. What a loser. He held out his hand, while putting a big grin on his face. It made him look like a twat, to be honest. But I didn't know anyone else and it's nice to have someone with you in a new place. Even if it's a twat with a weird name and a pointy face. So I took his hand.

"Hi, I'm Evelyn. I'm new this year," I told Draco.

"I know, my father told me about you. You're Maera Ross' daughter. The Rosses have always been good friends with our family. Perhaps we can continue this tradition," Draco said.

As if! Be friends with this loser? For now, yeah, until I meet some other people to hang out with. I thought of Aunt Jeanie's confession about her past love for Lucius. I hoped Draco did not mean that tradition! The thought made me shiver.

"Are you cold, child? It's the middle of summer," Narcissa said.

"No need to be nervous. Draco is an excellent guide. He can tell you a lot about Hogwarts," Lucius said with what I hoped was meant to be a warming smile. I looked at Draco and he put on a smug smile. It was quite nauseating, actually. But what was I supposed to do? So I just smiled back at him.

"That's so kind of you, Draco," Aunt Jeanie said. I wished my Aunt could mind read at that moment, but unfortunately, she couldn't.

"Why don't you two sit together on the train?" Aunt Jeanie continued the torture.

"That sounds like an excellent idea!" Lucius exclaimed. Narcissa stared right into my eyes. She knows what I'm thinking! I got a really eerie feeling from this woman. Luckily, I was used to adults not liking me, so I put on the mask that I always wore when meeting new foster parents.

"I would love that," I said with a voice dipped in honey, making sure I wasn't putting it on too thickly, "I would love for us to become friends, Draco."

Draco looked pleased.

Our conversation was interrupted by the blow of a whistle; it was the conductor urging everyone to get on the train. Uncle Eric helped me stow my trunk before saying goodbye. I gave my Aunt and Uncle each a big hug and I promised to write them a letter as soon as I was settled in a bit at school.

Draco also hugged his parents. His mum gave him, like, five kisses on each cheek. Mummy's boy.