38. The Three Broomsticks

"Is he alright?" I shrieked as I rushed down to the Quidditch field to check on Harry. But when I got there, no one was allowed to see him as he was carried off to the hospital wing on a stretcher. I noticed Hermione and Ron standing close by.

"How is he? He's not dead...is he?" I asked softly.

"No, Madam Malkin says it's nothing she can't fix," Hermione said with a wry smile.

Thank god!

Relieved as I was that Harry was fine, I bolted to the castle quickly enough to prevent myself from being fried by lightning. Tracey joined me and after we'd changed into some warm, dry clothes we huddled in front of the fireplace. Shortly after Astoria joined us.

"What'd you think of your first Quidditch match, Evelyn?" she asked.

"It was great!" I smiled. "Though, hopefully the next one's in better weather. And with less Dementors."

"I fully agree!" Astoria chuckled.

Then Draco and his followers came down the stairs leading from the dorms.

"Did you see the look on Potter's face? I can't believe he fainted, again! He's such a baby!" Draco drawled.

My face reddened and I clenched my fist. Tracey noticed and slightly shook her head.

It's not worth it, let it go Evelyn.

Eyes ablaze, I stared into the hypnotising flames instead.

Later that day I visited a bummed-out Harry at the hospital wing. Not only had Gryffindor lost the match against Hufflepuff but what's worse was that Harry's broom was broken beyond repair.

"A broom can be replaced. You're lucky you're alive after that fall," I tried to cheer him up. Harry returned half a smile and I could tell that no words of consolation were going to make a difference.

The following weeks flew by like an owl and I was working around the clock to get all my work done. Luckily, Lupin had quickly resumed his duties as the Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher which definitely helped to reduce my stress levels.

Before I knew it, we were approaching Christmas and a well-deserved break. The Great Hall was decorated lavishly. There were no less than twelve Christmas trees, neatly placed around the hall. Some were decorated with candles - bring on the fire hazard - and some with sparkling icicles. Holly and mistletoe adorned the walls and crisscrossed the ceiling. Warm, enchanted snow fell from the ceiling. Needless to say, I was in awe. This magical world never ceased to amaze me.

On the last weekend before the Christmas break another visit to Hogsmeade took place. Finally, I could visit it together with Tracey. For a second, my thoughts went out to Harry, who I supposed could still not visit the magical village.

"It's the perfect opportunity to do some Christmas shopping. Do you know what you're going to get your aunt and uncle?" Tracey asked.

"Uh...I'll figure something out. I'm sure I'll find something they'll like."

Shit, I hadn't thought of buying them gifts! I'd never bought anyone anything. I had no idea what would be an appropriate gift. I expressed my concerns to Tracey and she assured me she'd help me pick something nice.

The village of Hogsmeade was lovely. The picturesque brick houses were covered in a thick layer of snow which gave the village a fairy tale atmosphere. The streets were filled with happy students, chatting amongst themselves and admiring the elaborately decorated shop windows that were filled with holly and little fluttering fairies.