Sometimes, my journey is slow, and my family is asleep. But on some days, when I make the effort to get home faster, I return in time for dinner. To see my ma, pa, and my siblings eating, the house filled with laughter. On some nights, I sleep with a empty stomach. There is never enough when you have a big family. Our stomachs are always growling, always asking for more.

"Dai, Dheeran!" Ma calls after me. I turn to see her running after me as I exit the courtyard of our small home. "You're going to go without eating?"

"Ma, I'm already late. I'm supposed to be there at sunrise. I'll get something to eat on the way there. Or Madhava will have something for me." Madhava was my best friend since the beginning of time. He worked with me on the fields everyday.

My mother's dow-like eyes drooped. "Well, try to come home early tonight. Your father's friend's son is coming with his family to see Mithilli."

My eyes bulged. A suitor for my sister? Impossible. Snorting, I say, "don't joke ma. If you want me to be home early tonight because you miss me, you can just say so." I mock, pinching her wrinkled cheek.

"I'm not joking. There is a man coming to see your sister."

I stopped laughing. Looking at the hut behind her, I sighed. It looked in no shape for a marriage. Some of the straw were littered on the ground, and the walls were starting to crack. I'll have to fix it before they come.

"We're doomed. Go prepare ma, we don't enough time. We have to get everything to be perfect. Go, go, go!" I holler, pushing her towards the house.

My mother giggles. "Don't worry. Your father and your brothers are going to work on the house. The food will be taken care of by Mithilli and Tara. And I'll run to the market to grab some essentials for the house." She pushed me towards the fencing of our house. "All you have to do is come back here on time."

I felt guilty. I am supposed to be working alongside with them to prepare for welcoming the groom. "I'll try. I have to speak to the Lord." I nodded grimly and set out towards the fields.

As I walked along the muddy paths, I fixed the pants tied around my legs. It was becoming bothersome in the hot weather. My tanned skin was glistening with sweat by the time I set foot into the forest. It was my usual path, but there were some unusual sounds coming from the area today.

A rustle of sticks came from my right. My eyes moved towards it, and I fisted my hands, ready for a fight. I've come across many bandits along the road. Usually, it was late at night. "Come out. Face me if you can." I challenged. It was foolish, but I had a knife strapped to my waist and I was a decent fighter. Plus, I would do anything to protect my village and my family. If these bandits were setting out to rob my village, I wasn't going to stand by and watch.

There was a bit more rustling, and finally a silhouette stepped out. In his hands, was a long, curved knife. I put my right foot behind me, "all of you." Three more men stepped out, dressed head to toe in black. Their faces were covered, their eyes bloody red; probably from spying on the village the whole night.

One man came at me, and I immediately pulled out my knife, kneeling to stab him in the thigh. He howled, clutching his leg. I twirled, retrieving the long knife from his hands. The three other men came at me, all at once. I ducked, driving my knife into the man on the left and slashing the other man with my new knife. The man in the middle took a vary step. He was looking behind me. Then, I heard a crunch of wood. Someone was behind me. The man behind me placed a knife around my neck at the exact moment I kicked the man in front.