Goodbyes Suck

Today was they day I’ve been dreading for a year. Bryce was leaving for college today. There was a sharp pain in my stomach, and it hurt whenever I thought of him leaving. I wanted him to just stay here with me, but that was selfish. After all, we could Skype and talk on the phone. So we weren’t completely separated. But it’s just… just… heart wrenching.

I was sitting on the front porch of my house, with my back against the wall and a coffee cup in my hands. Bryce would be here any minute. He was currently saying good bye to his family, and if I knew anything, his mother was probably crying her eyes out. I knew if I was there, I would be doing the same. I wasn’t going to break down. I didn’t want to crumble, and make him feel like shit for leaving.

I leaned my head back and sighed. No matter what, I wasn’t going to cry.

Bryce’s truck pulled up to the curb and he parked, before hoping out. His chestnut colored hair shined in the summer sun, showing his natural highlights. He wore an orange Illinois University T-shirt, and a pair of khaki shorts. Sitting next to me, he reached for my hand.

I sucked in a shaky breath, “So, are you all ready to head out?”

“Yep.” Was all he said. Bryce reached for my hand and intertwined our fingers.

Well lets get this over with. I stood up and pulled him up with me. “Well, I won’t keep you long. After all, you have a long trip.” I said, holding back any scrap of emotion. Bryce had a confused look on his face, but I ignored it. I leaned in and gave him a tight hug, before just lightly pecking him on the lips. Drive safely, and call me when you get there.” I said, pulling away. I pulled away, and quickly turned around and started to head toward the door. I could feel my emotions starting to get the best of me. But Bryce grabbed my hand and pulled me back to him, and hugged me tightly to his chest.

“You don’t have to be brave for me Summer.” He said softly. That’s when the damn opened and the tears spilled from my eyes. I hugged him tighter. “I’m gona miss you so much!” I  cried, as a sob ripped through my body. He rubbed his hands in soothing circles on my back.

I tried to collect myself, wiping my tears off, “I’m sorry, I’m being overdramatic.” I said in a shaky voice.

“Summer, I would be more upset if you didn’t get upset in the first place.” He said pressing his lips to my forehead. “I want to know you actually care.”

“I do. Oh my goodness I do. I just… I love you so much Bryce.” I choked on the words, as the sobs took over. I was silenced when Bryce slammed his lips to mine. It was so heated; I thought I’d melt right in his arms. Turn into a puddle, right then and there. Our lips moved in perfect sync, as our out of control heartbeats started to sound like drums beating to the same beat.

He pulled away, out of breath. I was breathing just as hard.

“I’ll call you first thing. And we’ll Skype tonight so you can see my new room.” Bryce pressed his lips softly to mine. I smiled, “Okay. Drive safely.”

Bryce pulled away, and started to walk down the porch steps. He stopped and turned around, “Oh, and Summer?

“Yes?” I said, hugging my arms to my body.

“I love you too. Don’t forget that you’re still my girl.”

“And you’re still my boy.” I called after him.

He smiled and got into his truck. He waved as he pulled away, and I waved back. I watched drive all the way down the street, and turn out of our neighborhood before heading back inside. I walked straight to the living room and curled up into a ball. This was gona be tough, and I knew it.

But I also knew how overdramatic I was being, but I had the right to be. Right?

I heard the door open and shut. I looked up to see Brit, walking in. “What are you doing here?” I asked in a shaky voice.

“I wasn’t going to let you go through this alone.” She said, dropping her bag next to her feet.

She came to sit next to me and wrapped her arms around me. “Come on, Summy, lets watch some movies.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!