Episode 1.7

"MOM!" I shrieked, grabbing the birdcage off the table and sprinting inside with it. As I ran, I noticed I must have been standing out there in a trance for probably almost an hour as the sun had begun to set.
     I found Morgan in the kitchen with William, who had just returned from a round trip to Whole Foods. The smell of my mom's favorite chili recipe could be detected. Excusing herself from William, she gazed at me with confused eyes.
    "Scarlet? I've never seen you so frazzled." Morgan exclaimed, worried.
    I raised the birdcage with Bab to her face.
    "This bird is, excuse my language, FUCKING FREAKY!" I said, shaking. I could feel myself nearly shitting my pants from that dream-like adventure. "Mom, things have happened while you were gone...strange things...and I know you've been keeping secrets from me!"
    It felt good to get that all out.
    "Whatever do you mean?" Morgan pressed, her face showing concern.
    "The crow showed me a vision; a story!" I shouted. "I've had enough supernatural surprises! I also didn't go to a party after the big football game...Tristan and I were attacked and almost murdered by a doll!"
    "Scarlet..."
    "Please, explain these things to me..." I felt overheated and slumped down on a nearby antique chair, wiping away a few tears of emotional overload.
    "I never wanted you to find this side of the world..." Morgan sighed.
    "But it's too late!" I couldn't keep my voice calm. "I need to know everything! I've tried to keep myself tranquil. I've tried to forget and move on with life. But this damn bird just proves to me there is no turning back."
    I felt my mom's arms wrap around me in a tight hug.
    "I-I overheard you and those ladies talking about someone named Cú and a curse! The story Bab told me also had a hero named Cú."
    "Scarlet, I need you to retell whatever it is you can remember from the crow."
And so I tried my best to recount all the details the crow had told me. Everything from her description of Morgana and Cú, to their sexual intercourse, to Morgana's heartbreak, and finally of Cú's betrayal and curse.
    "Caw!" the bird startled us, as if it was giving its approval for my retelling of her story.
    As I finished by uttering Morgana's last verse of her curse, my mother did something unexpected. I felt uncomfortable and scared as she released a powerful bloodcurdling scream of frustration.
    "DAMN YOU BADB!" Morgan raged as she opened the birdcage and grabbed the bird with her bare hands. Marching to a nearby window, she chucked the animal out forcefully!
    "You do NOT intrude without my permission!" Morgan yelled at it as the crow angrily screeched back and defiantly flew right back into the building. "You promised me more time!"
There was suddenly a chorus of feminine cackles, a triple voiceover around the mansion. William rushed to the foyer, absolutely perplexed.
    "What the devil is going on with that laughing?" he exclaimed.
    The crow then landed in front of the mansion entrance, before a cyclone of black feathers replaced her with a tall, warrior-like maiden. She had night-black hair, a savage sense of fashion, and feathers on her head. Wearing animal pelts of varying species and carrying multiple throwing knives along her rhinoceros belt, the warrioress looked fearsome.
    As if on cue, two more avian creatures rocketed through the window and exploded in feathers, transforming into two beautiful maidens. One was a black-haired voluptuous woman, wearing tight purple silk straps that barely covered her breasts and exposed everything except the groin and posterior areas alongside fur boots. The other was Junoesque, a queen-like sovereign that radiated confidence and control. She was dressed in a beautiful white and blue gown that trailed down to the floor. Her red hair was braided back and sequined with a variety of precious jewels
    "Well, well." the crow woman smiled. "I must admit I don't appreciate being thrown out of a window, much less by my servant."
    William began to say something, but the red-haired one uttered a word.
    "Shentauainpe!"
    William's body seemed to stop in time, his mouth agape and frozen.
    "Don't hurt him!" I exclaimed.
    "I am not your servant!" Morgan stomped. "Our contract was an equal partnership!"
    "That was before you directly defied our demands." The voluptuous one said. "We have helped you survive for centuries, now it is time to move on and pass the honor to your daughter."
    "Mom, who the hell are these people?!"
    "Scarlet." Morgan said through gritted teeth. "Get behind me and stay on your guard."
    I obeyed.
    "There is no hiding her from us." the crow lady said. "Sweetie, didn't you enjoy my little story?"
    I shook my head. "W-Why would you tell me such a sad tale?"
    "Because it pertains to you, my dear." the redhead said. "It is your destiny, Scarlet, to inherit your birthright. Your mother has done an admirable job, but she refuses to pass on the ladle."
    "Scarlet." Morgan said cautiously. "You know the curse placed on Cú. I don't want that kind of life for you."
    "W-Wait...I have a Cú?" I stammered. "But we can't possibly be related to Morgana! That story happened over half a thousand years ago! A-and we're Welsh, not Irish!"
    "Blood is insignificant, child." the voluptuous laughed. "And please don't remind me of how old I am; I prefer to remain in my youth..."
    "There is a great inevitable conflict coming." The crow lady said. "You, little one, are destined to ascend and protect this world from the great malice."
    "Your mother here is being a selfish hoarder." the redhead sighed. "After all these years, and yet she doesn't know to obey us."
    "I can defend us just fine." Morgan insisted.
    "You're getting old." Crow lady laughed. "A younger vessel will be needed, her extraordinary potential will be required."
    "Mom...how old are you...?" I suddenly asked.
    Morgan looked at me.
    "I...I'm a little over 200..."
    My eyes grew wide, so wide I thought my sockets couldn't hold them anymore.
    "I-I thought you only ever had one partner." I couldn't think. "You couldn't have lived all this time alone? W-When did you meet dad? We never talk about him."
    "Scarlet..." Morgan was shaking. A tear formed, which shocked me to see. "The curse of Cú is a death sentence for those that are born with his spirit...but for us it's an initiation test...I shot your father back in 2002 while I was pregnant with you."
    I shook my head. All of this was too much to take in.
    "Twas but a simple price!" Morgana laughed.
    "I loved him!" Morgan shouted back. "You gave me no choice but to ascend when you threatened to terminate Scarlet!"
    "You what?!" I stared at the trio.
    "Ná Bí Ag Iarraidh Cluain An Chacamais A Chur Orm!" Crow lady cackled. "We told you what your daughter would be destined for. You wanted our power."
    "I will deny that to my last breath." Morgan hissed.
    "WHAT THE HELL AM I?!" I didn't expect myself to burst like that.
    "My, you haven't told the girl anything. Not to worry though, we've been watching you, Scarlet. Formidable stand against the doll demon." redhead shook her head in disappointment at Morgan. "Regardless, all will be clear after you ascend tonight; we will guide you from this point."
    "TONIGHT?!" Morgan shrieked. "Hell no! Get out of my house! Scarlet won't be taking your delusional offer for glory! She will live a normal and happy life...something that was taken from me!"
    I nodded.
    "I don't want whatever sick curse you're offering! I won't commit murder for your ridiculous witchcraft!"
    The expressions from the ladies changed, from amused, to confused, to maddened. Their voices combined to form one echoing shout.
    "YOU WON'T CONFINE US IN YOU FOREVER, MORGAN! DON'T FORGET: WE MADE WHAT YOU ARE! AND NOW WE WILL DISPOSE OF YOU, UNGRATEFUL BITCH! YOU DO NOT DENY US; WE TAKE WHAT IS REQUIRED!"
    "Scarlet!" my mom commanded. "Hide!"
    I dove behind a bookcase and peeked out to see what was happening. I gasped as I saw my mom holding a ball of violet energy.
    "Scarlet will not be a slave for you!" Morgan yelled and threw the orb. The three ladies dispersed with unbelievable speed as the orb exploded on the original painting of The Scream. There was an ominous buzz as I realized the ladies had each materialized a spear from the air. Circling my mom in a triangle, I wanted to scream but couldn't feel my muscles moving at all.
With a swift throw, the three women launched their spears simultaneously, each impaling my mom from a different direction. My eyes couldn't comprehend the sight as I felt the flood of tears release, watching as my mom's raptured body fell to the ground...
    "Scarlet..." my mom's bloody mouth croaked. "Tell William...it is time..."
    Time seemed to slow down as the women knelt down next to her cadaver. They whispered some words and a wisp or stream of purple energy was extracted from Morgan's mouth. I felt paralyzed, watching.
    "The initiation must be done on your own will." Morgana looked at the peeking Scarlet. "You will come to us when you realize what must be done for the good of all, especially if you ever want to see your mother again."
    A dark cloud engulfed the three of them and Morgan's body as they disappeared from the mansion. A minute after they had gone, I heard a stumble as I realized William was freed from his time lock.
    "I swear I just saw Morgan here." he looked at me, puzzled, then realized I was on the verge of a breakdown. He ran over and gave me a concerned hug.
    I whispered in his ear like my mom asked.
    "It is time..."