Lionfish (1/3) [Eustass Kid]

You opened your eyes to see the vast blue sky looking back at you with it's fluffy grayish clouds, no doubt filled with rain water for later. After outstretching your arms with a yawn, you glance at the giant sea turtle under you.

"How long until we reach the next island?" you asked the sea creature.

'Not too long, but I'm afraid I can't go any further since there's going to be a storm soon'

"Tsk-" you pressed your lips together.

"You've done enough already, I can swim from here." you reassured the sea turtle, tenderly petting it's head before giving him a smooch on the nose. The turtle made a happy noise, watching you collect your bag and jump into the water.

'Take care! Watch out for pirates and those nasty slave traders!' the turtle warned you before taking off in another direction, disappearing deeper into the ocean floor.

Just like the turtle predicted, clouds began to loom over the large sky, darkening the ocean water the further you swam.

It was no problem for you, in fact the rough waves just made swimming all the more fun. The sound of thunder was like music to your ears as you jumped, twirled and dived playfully into the rough ocean waves. There was no doubt that the storm was harsh but it wasn't a match for the strength in your striped tail. Although you weren't immediately aware of it, there was someone else in these waters who wasn't enjoying the current weather unlike you did.

From afar, you could distinguish an orange light shining from within the dark clouded storm and it's raging waters. Most likely an unfortunate ship that got caught in the middle of the storm.

You dwelled down underwater to further investigate, mainly by swimming towards the ship's direction in hopes of picking up anything. Sound carries pretty easily through water. So, judging by the vibrations you were sensing from all the shouting coming from it, you could bet half of your treasure that the ship's sailors were going haywire with the sudden thunder storm.

Curiosity picked your interest as you inched closer to the ship by raising your head above water, it was dark but the illumination coming from the ship allowed you to see the black jolly roger flag flapping violently in the wind.

"A pirate ship huh?" you smirked.

You had a neutral viewpoint of pirates. You've read the papers, you know what dangers they're capable of. But then again. Your idols the sun pirates, were fishmen who liberated your kind from humans, they were pirates as well but that didn't meant they were bad people.

No matter the case, you simply kept yourself at bay. Ever since you were able walk on land and left home 2 years ago, you grew wary of every human being you came across. I mean, who wouldn't pass off the opportunity to capture a mermaid and sell her at a high price? So pirates weren't the only ones you had to worry about. It was probably just the paranoid part of yourself speaking, but you can never be too safe. The world is cruel, so you have to become just as cruel to protect yourself.

In the end you slowly began to build a thick skin the more you ventured into the grand line. Things became easier for you if you just worry about yourself, which means no one will miss a group of criminal pirates. You mused to yourself at the thought, if they don't make it out of the storm there's no doubt their ship would sink; leaving behind any treasures they collected. The idea was tempting to you, deciding to stay underwater and watch the ship from below to avoid being detected, although it was dark, they still had some torches on their ship to illuminate around them and... you narrowed your eyes, did someone just breathe out fire?

You shrugged, dwelling into the dark waters once again. Patiently waiting for either the waves to flip the ship over or a lighting to strike on them.