Chapter Fourteen

I drove to the shelter the second I left my house. James wished me well with the usual, "Don't die!" and then I was off.

My talk with Declan was probably not going to go well, but I had to do it. I couldn't let him continue to date a psycho evil human. ...Although to be fair, I punched him. But still!

Andrew was totally evil.

I checked my phone on my way to the shelter, which was very naughty but I had a technology addiction. I was a millennial, of course I did.

I'd been lucky enough to get Henry's number during our date, which was a privilege that I immediately abused by sending him memes and baby animal pictures.

Today, I sent him a text saying, I'm doing it! Wish me luck, handsome.

He texted back, Good luck mushroom head <3 because he was a cruel and mean person.

I pulled up to the shelter and let out a sigh of relief when Andrew's fancy car wasn't in the lot. If Andrew had been there, things would've gotten really awkward as I shittalked him to his boyfriend.

Declan was sitting at the front desk, beaming, talking on the phone.

See, Declan was not the same person as usual! Declan never beamed! Declan was moody!

He glanced up and waved when he saw me. "Okay, Ands, I gotta go. Dillon is here. Yeah, I'll be good! Bye, babe." He turned to me and grinned. "Hey, Dill, what's up?"

"Um I punched your boyfriend," I blurted.

Which, I will admit, wasn't the most tactical way to navigate the conversation.

Declan blinked. "Wait, what?"

This was going poorly. 1/10. I'd definitely have to backtrack.

"Okay, it's not what it sounds like," I said, although I had yet to figure out how it was any different from the way it sounded. "I had a reason."

Declan wrinkled his nose. "Wait so you're telling me that you punched Andrew?"

I shifted my weight, fully aware that I probably looked a little awkward. "Yes. But I have good reason. Do you want to know?"

"I mean yeah?"

He was clearly very confused.

"So, Andrew is Henry's ex-boyfriend," I informed. Thankfully, that actually got a reaction out of Declan. His eyes widened and he straightened in his seat a little. "Andrew has been visiting Henry at his bakery."

Actually...now that I was talking about it, why had Andrew been doing that? I'd never bothered to ask Henry.

"Why?" Declan asked. He leaned forward a little bit, a healthy amount of worry in his eyes.

I faltered. "To be honest, I'm not sure. But anyway, he's been coming around. And he's been saying...mean things."

I stopped, hoping Declan would be like, Mean things?! That sounds like Andrew. I think it's high time I dump that asshole.

But no. He just looked even more confused. "Andrew...? Mean? I don't think so, Dil."

This was the difficult part. A) Getting Declan to believe me. B) Finding that cold dark part of my soul that was badass enough to break Declan's heart and tell him what Andrew said.

But again, my soul was an undignified rainbow party. This was going to be difficult.

"At first it wasn't too bad!" I admitted. "He just teased me about my hair and said that Henry was out of my league."

Declan nodded absently. "True things."

Rude. But I nodded.

Declan's eyes narrowed. "Dillon. I think I'm missing whatever information connects your bad hair to assault."

I shifted awkwardly. "True, you are."

Declan suddenly straightened up like he was preparing for the worst. "Okay, just rip off the band-aid. I can tell that this is going to be bad. Just tell me, don't be so worried."

But he was worried. I could see it in his eyes and his stance.

"Um...Andrew came in and started talking about how he's...dating you. For your family's money," I basically whimpered. Declan jolted a little like I'd punched him.

"You're not serious, right?" he asked, face written with hurt and worry. Declan was usually such a composed guy. He was the total opposite of me, always keeping his feelings hidden and his mannerisms professional.

But there was no trace of that Declan here. He looked like I had punched him in the face, not Andrew.

"I didn't want to tell you," I admitted. "I didn't know if it was my place. But I wouldn't be a good friend if I let him play you like this."

Declan swallowed a few times and cleared his throat. He nodded too rapidly and grabbed his phone. "I'll have to ask Andrew about this before I do anything, you know. I know we're best friends and you aren't lying to me, but I have to hear him out."

Declan was always so logical and fair. I wished he was a hugger so I could hug him.

"I get that," I said. "Um, I'm sorry I told you that. I'm sure you wish I didn't."

He shook his head, stood up, and hugged me. The sad thing was that he totally did it because he knew I'd feel better with a hug. But still, I held on and squeezed him.

"It's okay, Dilly," Declan sighed. "It's usually me telling you that your man sucks, so this is a good change of pace."

"True. You're always looking out for me." I squeezed him harder and he grunted.

"Dil...do you mind saying what he said about me?" Declan asked in a whisper.

"It wasn't cute. He said that he we were both annoying to him." I was kind of glad we were still hugging so I wouldn't have to see his face. "Then he said he was dating you for the money when I asked him why he'd call you annoying too."

"Bet he called me fat too," Declan muttered. "He kind of is out of my league. I guess I shouldn't be surprised."

I pulled away and shoved a finger in his face. "Don't talk like that! Yeah, Andrew's hot, whatever. That's on the outside. On the inside he's ugly. Like Thanos' chin or a beetle."

I got a reluctant laugh out of him, which was better than nothing.

We hung out for a little bit, but I didn't stick around for long. I wanted to get back to my man! Even though there was drama with Andrew and Declan, I was still nervous and excited about my new dude.