crying in my prom dress.

Start from the beginning

with a queen tape playing lowly, she applies her lipstick in the rearview mirror, the red as vibrant as a bruised eye ( matches the bloody knuckles she's got from fightin' off boys who try to grasp her, unbeknownst that she's smoke and they can never catch her ), and then meticulously rolls a joint, sighing into the 9:00pm air, the sun just setting as she holds the flame of a zippo to the weed and makes it flame as bright as her fiery soul. the smoke is lazy, thick; she holds it in her lungs and allows it to roll off her tongue, fogging up the car and obscuring her face.

tonight's gonna be full of more jivin' and grindin' than that party scene in dirty dancing ( which minji's rewatched far too many times on rental from the videostore, fallen in love with baby over and over again ), teenage hormones monitored by volunteer parents and teachers, the too sweet & tangy fruit punch probably spiked so it tastes like overripe & rotten peaches, and god, what she wouldn't give to just drive home.

suddenly, a flurry of crimson dress and blonde hair and beaming teeth tumbles down the driveway, and momo opens the passenger door with a dazzling smile, her hair pulled into an elegant bun, her face highlighted with moondust in the form of glitter. she's giggling but minji knows she isn't drunk; she isn't that kind of girl. she's the girl minji's mom wants.

"hey!" she smiles, leaning over to kiss minji's cheek. it's surprising how they're friends, honestly, because sometimes momo can be just so... girlish. but they've been together since they were seven, and eleven years is a long time to know someone. minji smiles and stubs out the joint, putting the rest of it behind her ear for safekeeping.

"heya mo. what took ya so long? i could'a been feeding my munchies destroying a mega crunch at taco bell, but i'm here waiting for you," minji says, her accusing tone a complete joke. "prettying yourself up for lover boy, huh?"

momo blushes a pretty dusk pink beneath the glitter, while minji starts the car up. "well, uh, yeah... changbin and i were on the phone as well. he wrote me a song, min! i had to redo my makeup 'cause i cried."

minji chuckles, smiling. the changbin guy is cute and all, and he still treats momo well after five months, so minji hasn't had to put up fisticuffs against him yet like she's had to for previous boyfriends. she's very protective of momo. "that's really sweet, mo. he couldn't've picked you up?"

momo shakes her head. "he doesn't have a car— his friend  chris has a van, but he's boycottin' prom 'cause he can't go with his boyfriend. they're driving to the beach, to, y'know..."

"they're gonna fuck at the beach!?" minji screeches with laughter, slapping her steering wheel as they cruise through the suburban nightmare neighborhood. "wish i could'a gone along. how neat is that, man? fuck prom, i'm gonna go with the fags."

momo laughs and rolls her eyes, pulling down the mirror on her side. "do i look okay?"

minji glances over at her. her strapless, wine-red dress has a sweetheart neckline and a skirt that ends at her calves, the bodice ruffled and the waist cinched with a black ribbon. she does look beautiful; if she were any other girl, minji would've made a move. "yeah, doll, you look great. gonna knock changbin's socks off."

"thanks," momo runs a finger over her bottom lip and sits back. "you look nice too. your mom buy ya that?"

"uh huh. 's nice, isn't it? could probably get a gal in this getup," she smiles, shifting gears as she turns. only five minutes or less to the school and then she'll be wishing she stayed home. "mom bust a vein at my hair and the tat."

"you owe taz for that, ya know," momo says, pulling on the red converse she had concealed in her bag, in replacement of the complicated-looking strappy heels she came in wearing. "he said twenty bucks, ji, 'nd you owe him fifteen. steal the money from your pa or somehin'."