"I don't care. Who's to say that he won't do that to me? He owns me so why wouldn't he?"

"I suppose you'll just have to find that out for yourself but give it a chance. He's not the enemy."

I stuck my face back in the toilet seat and threw up again. Hardly anything came out this time but I still felt like I was going to be sick again. My body couldn't take much more of this. I was weak and tired and overwhelmed. I felt myself slipping but I fought it desperately. I just knew that if I gave in, it would all be over. My life, my soul, everything I had worked for would be gone. I would die and be forced back to life. I wasn't afraid to die though. I knew before that in death, my eternal soul would be in Heaven but now I would never experience that. I would be locked inside my body for an eternity and if by some miracle I did die, I would end up in Hell or worse.

"Your Highness, I think she's ready to turn," Richard said over his shoulder.

I don't know how I knew, but I felt Liam's presence enter the bathroom. I couldn't hear him but I could feel him. I could feel what he felt; all the irritation, the exhaustion, and something else were all so apparent that they almost felt like mine.

I rested my cheek on the toilet seat again, too weak to hold my own head. I watched as Liam crouched next to me, careful to avoid all the blood. His crisp, white sleeves were rolled to his elbows, exposing a large branding on his forearm. I knew I had seen that symbol somewhere before but I didn't know where.

He moved my hair over my shoulder and wiped some blood away from my face.

"It's time, Anna."

I tried to shake my head.

"Yes. It'll be okay. I promise."

I met his red eyes. I was terrified of what would happen. If I let go, it was all over. I could never have a relationship with God again. I would only be an extension of Liam and nothing more. What kind of life would that be?

"I can't die without a priest," I mumbled.

"A priest?"

"Confession."

He watched me carefully for a moment before he sighed and looked to Richard.

"Get someone here now."

"Yes, Your Highness."

Richard left the room. I hadn't really been alone with Liam yet and in my weakened state, I was unsure of him to say the least.

He didn't say anything. He simply stayed next to me with his hand on my back. I took a moment to really look at him since I would be connected to him for the rest of eternity. His blonde hair was kept short with clean lines. His skin was pale and smooth but not as translucent as I would have thought for a vampire. His shoulders were broad but not to the point of excess. I probably would have considered him attractive if I had been in any other situation.

"You know, I can hear everything you're thinking," he commented.

"I don't care."

"I know."

"You don't have to sit in here."

"No, I don't."

"So go," I prompted.

"No."

I groaned, "I don't want anyone to see me like this."

"A little late for that, sweetheart."

I felt lightheaded and weak, delirious. My body was finally numb. I welcomed the escape from the agony and sickness but I also knew it meant I was close to death. I needed to keep myself awake and talking or I would slip away before I could confess.