Chapter 7:Fishing With a Dragon:Moray

Moray was sleeping in his room when the first rays of sunlight shone through his window, and into his eyes, waking him up.
He yawned, and stretched out his limbs, waking Riptide, the sky blue baby dragon he found yesterday, and bonded with making him a Dragon Rider, a legendary warrior that protected Erdas, but disappeared nearly a century ago.
The little dragon arched his back like a cat and stretched out his limbs and yawned, exposing his razor sharp, white teeth.
Moray smiled at Riptide, and sat up, and picked up Riptide, setting him on his lap, and asked him, "Want to go fishing today?"
Riptide looked at him with his dark blue eyes that reminded him of an abyss, and as Riptide looked at him he felt a sense of hunger, and he could hear the lapping sound of the sea against the shore, and he guessed that meant yes, since Riptide didn't say anything; the only way of communication at the moment was by sound, images or feelings, since Riptide didn't really know how to speak yet as said by Nalani, the village storyteller who he had told Riptide about, and she helped him and told him a lot of things about dragons and Dragon Riders.
"Ok." He responded to Riptide's answer.
Then pulling off the covers, he got up out of bed, and changed. Then he snuck out his bedroom window with Riptide under his shirt, and he went into the tropical forest behind his house, and let Riptide do his business.
When Riptide was done, he took Riptide back inside the house.
He put Riptide under his bed, and told him to stay, and then he went into the kitchen to eat breakfast.
He saw his father sitting at the table fixing a fishing net, and his mother cutting open coconuts for their milk.
Moray sat down in his spot, and started playing with the netting needle till his father needed it.
When breakfast was done, his mother sat a half coconut in front of him and nearby his father because of all the fishing net stuff littered around his father.
"Akoni I thought I told you not to leave your net fixing supplies strewn across the table." His mother said to his father with a hint of annoyance in her voice like she was tired of telling him time and time again not to leave his net fixing stuff on the table.
"Sorry Lea, but I have no where else to fix the nets but here, where you are." His father said, getting up, and wrapping an arm around her waist, and kissing her on the lips making Moray want to throw up; if Fallyn was still alive then they would be trying hard not to snicker at their parents. He hoped they knew he was here before anything else happened.
His mother pulled out of his father's grasp, and handed him three bananas, and said, "Breakfast." A smile was on her face as he looked at the bananas before giving her another kiss, and then walking back to the table, and putting the bananas on the table, ruffling Moray's hair as he went by.
"That's how you get a girl." He whispered to Moray once he sat down.
   Moray smiled at his father and his father smiled back.
   Then his mother sat down, and started drinking her coconut milk. Moray and his father joining in a few seconds later.
   After Moray finished his coconut milk, he grabbed a banana, peeled it and started eating it.
   Between bites he said to is parents, "I'm going to the cove to try the fishing."
   His parents looked up from their breakfast, and his father asked, "You want some company? If so you and me can have a boys day only." His father finished with a grin on his face.
   He didn't know what to do when his father said that. His father wanted to have a boys day. But he wanted to take Riptide fishing, and he wasn't sure how well his father would handle seeing Riptide, and Riptide might attack his father.
   "Actually me and some friends are going fishing at the cove," as soon as he said that his father's grin faltered, and he quickly added, "but we can go fishing anytime you want to."
   His father looked at him, and said, "Ok. Maybe we can take the canoe out, huh?" His father's smile returning as he nudged Moray's elbow with his own.
   "Absolutely not!" His mother protested. "Akoni, you are not taking Moray out on the ocean in a canoe that could easily flip over when hit by a wave."
   "It won't flip over," his father said, and reaching across the table he placed a hand on her hand, and looking her in the eyes. Then he added in a softer tone where Moray could barely hear what his father said, "We won't lose Moray like Fallyn."
   His mother looked sad when his father mentioned his dead older sister, who fell off a cliff and hit the rocks below two years ago.
   Then his mother got up from the table and went into his parents' bedroom.
   His father sighed, and then looked at Moray, and said, "When are you and your friends going to the cove?"
   "Two hours after sunrise."
   "Ok. We'll be safe, and don't you boys do anything I wouldn't do." His father said with a slight grin on his face.
   Then his father got up from the table, and went into his parents' bedroom.
   After his father went into his bedroom, Moray went to his own room, and checked in on Riptide, and told him to stay under his bed once again, and he exited his room, and went to find the fishing pole and tackle box.
   When he got back to his room, he set the fishing pole on his bed, and set the tackle box on the ground.
   Riptide came out to investigate the tackle box, and he started growling at it.
   "Calm down big guy. We're going fishing." He said to Riptide, calming him down a little bit.
   He looked inside the tackle box, and estimated that Riptide could fit in it if he emptied it.
   He looked at Riptide, and Riptide must have heard his thoughts because he started backing away, and then ran straight towards the safety of the underneath of his bed.
   "Riptide, you need to come out if you want to go fishing." He said to Riptide, while emptying the tackle box, and putting it underneath his bed.
   Riptide didn't come out, so he tried again.
   "Riptide can you come out please. If you want to go fishing then you need to come out so we can go to the cove and go fishing." He tried reasoning with Riptide.
   Riptide poked his snout out from underneath the bed, and looked up at him and the tackle box.
   He then felt a sense of sadness envelop him as he felt what emotions Riptide was sharing with him.
   "I know you don't want to be stuck in that dark, stuffy box, but it is the only way to get you to the cove without anyone seeing you, and wanting to kill you."
   Riptide looked at him with sad eyes, and then walked over to him, and waited for Moray to put him in the box.
He picked Riptide up and set him in the tackle box, and looked at Riptide before closing the lid, feeling horrible that he had to put Riptide inside this dark, stuffy box, and then he shut the lid.
He picked up the tackle box, now twice as heavy as it was originally because of Riptide. He grabbed the fishing pole off his bed, and exited his room, and left the house, taking the forest path to the cove.
There was no sign of Timote or Piri, the twin brat princes that threw him off a cliff just a day ago because he punched one snob in the eye giving him a black eye and gave the other snob a bloody nose because they kept making fun of his dead sister, calling her Fallyn Falls. He was surprised that they weren't out looking for him because if he had died then his parents would be mourning the loss of their second and last child. He would have figured that the two demon princes would be trying to find him and kill him before he could tell anyone what they tried to do. If their parents did find out then they would receive the worst punishment: exile. Which their parents would never do because it would look bad on the king and queen of The Hundred Isles if they did or didn't punish their eldest sons for attempted murder.
A growl from Riptide returned his attention to the present worn path in front of him.
He continued through the tropical forest till he came to a cliff that slowly slanted downwards to the cove.
The cove really wasn't that big, not big enough for trading ships, more like the size for small fishing boats and canoes.
Luckily for Moray no one else was here mostly because the cave wasn't used that often because of the cliff you would have to climb back up to get to the village.
He carefully started down the slightly slanted cliff, almost slipping about five times on the lose rocks as he made his way down the rocky cliff.
By the time he was down the cliff, his calve muscles and bare feet hurt from digging them into the rough, hard rocks, and tensing them to keep him and Riptide from falling off the cliff.
When he had stepped on the sand it was hot, burning his bare feet to where it felt like he was walking on fire.
He hurried over to the cool water, and relief spread through his feet as the cool water washed over his feet.
He set the fishing pole, and the tackle box, and Riptide jumped out as soon as the lid was off.
Moray felt a sense of fear and jolting from Riptide, which he guessed was what Riptide felt while Moray was climbing down the cliff. To be honest Moray would be scared too if his life depended on someone climbing down a cliff while he was in a tackle box, unable to do anything but hope and pray that they make it down alright,
Riptide lifted a webbed talon out of the water, and then slammed it back down, and roared with delight as water splashed over his sky blue scales. He looked back as Moray and then jumped in a little deeper, swimming with his wings, webbed talons and thick, muscular tail.
He looked kinda like a dolphin-manta ray-sea otter mix by the way he was swimming.
H came up to the surface, and looked at him, and then sent him an image of them swimming together.
He smiled at Riptide, and walked deeper into the cool, clear water. The wet sand squishing underneath his feet. The water was cool and soothing, he never felt this way in the ocean before, it felt like he was part of the ocean like this where he belonged.
Riptide must have heard his thoughts because he slapped his muscular tail against the water splashing him with a foot tall wave, almost knocking him under.
He heard Riptide laughing at him, and Moray splashed him in return. Riptide stopped laughing and playfully hissed at him, and then dove under. He came back up a few moments later, and threw a long piece of dripping wet seaweed in his face. Moray removed the seaweed, and threw it back into the ocean, so he and Riptide wouldn't be throwing the seaweed around all day when they were supposed to be fishing.
He felt Riptide's sadness that they wouldn't be playing around anymore, and he stopped laughing.
"Sorry, but we're here to go fishing, not play around, and besides we can't stay out here all day. I have to go home around lunch time or my parents will start getting worried. I'm lucky they didn't get home earlier last night, or else it wouldn't have turned out good for me or you." He explain to Riptide.
Riptide's sadness faded a little bit, but it was still there, and he understood what Moray was saying and accepted it.
"Thank you Riptide. Now go fishing, but stay close, and don't leave the cove."
Riptide responded by roaring joyfully at him, and then dove under.
He smiled to himself when he saw Riptide chasing a small school of butterfly fish. They kept splitting up on Riptide causing him to try and swerve in the water to catch them. He kept getting frustrated as the butterfly fish continued to slip between his talons and jaws. Finally Riptide just stopped, and floated in the water, and waited till the butterfly fish got close enough for him to snap up a couple in his jaws. The remaining butterfly fish fled to the deeper parts of the cove as crimson blood appeared in the clear blue water.
Moray could tell those two butterfly fish weren't enough for Riptide by his feeling of hunger in his stomach through the bond he shared with Riptide.
Riptide swam around the cove some more before diving down into the deeper parts of the cove.
Moray looked around for Riptide, but saw no signs of him.
"Riptide?" He called out for him, scared for Riptide.
A shark could have easily ate Riptide, or he could be stuck. But if something happened to him wouldn't Riptide try and ask him for help by sending him images or feeling? That gave him a little reassurance, but he was still afraid for Riptide.
Then to his relief he saw Riptide break through the surface with a mackerel in his jaws.
The fish struggled to get free, but Riptide's strong jaws and sharp teeth prevented the fish from freeing itself.
Riptide swam to the shore with his prey, and Moray started in too.
Once both of them were on the shore, Riptide dropped the mackerel on the sandy beach. The mackerel was about twenty-six inches long, and was bleeding near its neck where Riptide had a hold onto with his razor sharp teeth.
Riptide placed a webbed talon on the middle mackerel, and bent his neck down? and latched on to the mackerel's head and pulled on the mackerel's head till it broke off, and Riptide promptly ate it. Then he repeated the process with fish, finishing it with two more bites.
When he was done, Riptide licked his chops and licked the blood off his front talons. Then he laid down on the warm sand, and burped, and went straight to sleep, basking in the warm sun.
Moray sat down besides Riptide, letting the warm sun dry his clothes.