The Dark Mark

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

Something was wrong.

Very Wrong.

She could feel it. They had gotten back to their tent from the match just minutes before but, already, Iris could feel something in the atmosphere. And it wasn't good.

The other kids were singing and dancing around the main area of the tent, yelling along to the upbeat rhythm of the Irish music playing throughout the living area. Iris sat on the sofa, staring off into space, entrapped within the worried thoughts of her own mind.

She closed her eyes, leaning back into the squishy cushions in an attempt to relax. Her eyebrows furrowed as she began to hear odd sounds coming from outside the tent... screams.

Run!

Death Eaters --

Run...

Run!

RUN!

Her eyes shot open as she took in a gasp of breath. She couldn't hear much from outside as the boys were being exceptionally loud, joking around as Ron fawned over Viktor Krum, the Bulgarian Seeker.

Iris stood, making her way briskly over to the entrance to the tent without much notice. She slowly pulled the doorway flaps back, scared for what she might witness outside the shelter of the canvas walls. Her lips parted and her eyes grew wide with horror. A sudden booming sound made her flinch, an explosion of fire lighting up the sky from across the sea of tents. People ran by, screaming, carrying their children as they hurried away from the imminent danger spreading closer.

Not taking her eyes off of the growing flames, Iris called out to behind her, "Mr Weasley..."

The man walked over with furrowed eyebrows, beginning to ask what was wrong before he, too, looked outside. Her brother and friends were still goofing off behind them, now singing a song about Ron's love for Krum.

Another boom sounded throughout the field. Hundreds of people were running in all directions, yelling and pushing people out of their way. Iris could hear a faint chanting sound coming from the direction of the fire. The young girl pushed past the flaps of the tent, hearing the voices of the Weasley twins fading as she walked forward.

Iris pushed through the hoard of people racing by, not sparing anyone a glance as she focused on the chanting. Finally breaking through the crowd Iris stood in the opening between two tents, gazing out over the landscape in front of her.

By the light of the few fires that were still burning, she could see people running away into the woods, fleeing something that was moving across the field toward them, something that was emitting odd flashes of light and noises like gunfire. Loud jeering, roars of laughter, and drunken yells were drifting toward her; then came a burst of strong green light, which illuminated the scene.