Never Be the Same

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

The night before they were due to leave back to Hogwarts, Iris slept unsoundly. Her parents' faces wove in and out of her dreams, never speaking; A green flash and Cedric's empty gaze stared straight through her, and in a dream new to her, Iris found herself walking down a corridor ending in a locked door. 

Her feet carried her towards it involuntarily, her vision flashing rapidly back and forth from the strained face of her brother to the door. The static sound of dozens of whispers slowly grew louder and louder in her ears until it was deafening. Green lightning struck behind her hazel eyes, blinding Iris as she stumbled down the corridor, feeling like the door was pulling her closer.

Harry

Cedric

The door

Mum

Dad

The door

Sirius

People were screaming... so many of them...

Iris grabbed her head, wishing she would wake up from the nightmare. There was a pressure building up behind her eyes that was growing nearly unbearable. She stumbled, crying out in pain as a hundred voices rushed through her ears and her sight flashed with green once more. The girl finally let out a shattering scream, the dream falling apart as the horrible face of Voldemort leered at her.

Iris awoke abruptly, gasping for air, her scar prickling for the first time in ages. She sat up hyperventilating, unable to catch her breath, her mind repeating one name over and over again: Harry. Her heart was pounding in her chest at an intense speed.

There was a light knock on her door. Iris took a shuddering breath and called out for them to come in. The handle twisted and in peeked Hermione, already dressed.

"Morning Iris, you'd better get ready quickly, Mrs Weasley's beginning to panic, she says we're going to miss the train..."

There was a lot of commotion in the house. From what she heard as she hurriedly got dressed, Iris deduced that Fred and George had bewitched their trunks to fly downstairs to save the bother of carrying them, with the result that they had hurtled straight into Ginny and knocked her down two flights of stairs into the hall; Mrs Black and Mrs Weasley were both screaming at the top of their voices.

"— COULD HAVE DONE HER A SERIOUS INJURY, YOU IDIOTS —"

"— FILTHY HALF-BREEDS, BESMIRCHING THE HOUSE OF MY FATHERS —"

Iris rolled her eyes at the yells of the portrait, exiting her room with her trunk in tow. She carefully made her way downstairs and set her luggage by the front door. The corridor was more chaotic than usual, with everyone either standing around waiting to leave or rushing between rooms trying to make sure they had everything and everyone. Iris walked past them all in search of Sirius.