Like the World's on Fire

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

It was a quiet morning for Iris. She sat in a window seat in an empty corridor for a good part of it, watching raindrops race down the glass as a heavy downpour fell from the clouds above. The gloomy grey skies perfectly reflected her mood.

The time passed quicker than she would have liked, and soon enough, noon was approaching and she realized she had to leave to meet with Hermione and her brother. Iris slowly ambled down the staircases and to the front entrance. She couldn't say she was very excited to be going to Hogsmeade.

Nevertheless, Iris stepped outside, the rain meeting her instantly. She tilted her chin up toward the sky, closing her eyes and letting the drops collide with her face. The girl took a deep breath of the misty air, her facade cracking for only a second as her lips fought into a frown that threatened to let out a dry sob. Iris pushed away the lump in her throat and began walking.

By the time she arrived to Hogsmeade, her olive green cloak had turned a darker shade and was completely soaked through, along with the rest of her clothing and hair.

Outside Dervish and Banges, a large poster had been stuck up in the window and a few Hogsmeaders were looking at it. As she walked past, Iris found herself staring once more at the ten pictures of the escaped Death Eaters. The poster ("By Order of the Ministry of Magic") offered a thousand-Galleon reward to any witch or wizard with information relating to the recapture of any of the convicts pictured.

She could see people talking lowly about it all over. Their thoughts intruded into hers but they were right— so much fuss had been made when Sirius had escaped, Hogsmeade and the entire castle grounds were surrounded by dementors at all times, but now there wasn't one anywhere in sight. Iris knew it meant they had truly escaped Ministry control and had turned to Voldemort.

She continued on until she finally reached the door of The Three Broomsticks. Upon entering, Iris pulled her wand out and waved it from head down her body, a breeze blowing over her and drying Iris immediately.

"Iris! Iris, over here!"

Hermione was waving at her from the other side of the room. Iris made her way toward her through the crowded pub. She was still a few tables away when she realized that Hermione was not alone; she was sitting at a table with the unlikeliest pair of drinking mates she could ever have imagined: Luna Lovegood and none other than Rita Skeeter, ex-journalist on the Daily Prophet and one of Hermione and Iris' least favourite people in the world.

Iris reached at the table, eyeing the blonde woman cautiously as she slid into the booth beside Hermione muttering a quiet greeting. Rita eyed her closely but didn't say a word. Every few seconds Iris thought she saw the woman's hand twitch toward her bag, looking like she was desperate to pull out her writing utensils.

"We're just waiting for Harry now, but I expect he's likely to be a bit longer," Hermione announced to the table.

She was not entirely accurate, however, as Iris' twin came running into the pub just minutes later, sans Cho Chang. When he caught sight of the girls, Harry briskly walked over to join them.