Rumour Has It

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

Iris rejoined her brother and friends at about the same time Hermione and Ron returned from their prefect duties. They spent the rest of the train ride talking and eating sweets from the trolley, but there was an underlying tension that grew as they got closer to Hogwarts.

Only a little while after the sun had set, they pulled into Hogsmeade Station. They all left the compartment quickly, anxious to get to the Great Hall for dinner. They started down the path toward the Carriage Road, but Iris was frowning: everywhere she looked her eyes were met with nervous glances, furtive whispers, and copies of the Daily Prophet.

Obnoxious laughter came from behind them, causing most of the teens in Iris' group to look over. A short distance away, Draco Malfoy, followed by a small gang of cronies including Crabbe, Goyle, and Pansy Parkinson, was pushing some timid-looking second years out of the way so that they could get a coach to themselves.

When Malfoy caught sight of the group, he called out, "I'm surprised the Ministry's still letting you two walk around free, Potters. Better enjoy it while you can— I expect there's a joint cell in Azkaban with both of your names on it..." he smirked, looking directly at Iris for his next words, "Though I suppose being locked up is a better alternative than what your boyfriend got, isn't it?"

He laughed cruelly, his companions clapping him on the back as though he had made an outstanding joke... then, without warning, Harry suddenly lunged toward Malfoy. The blond bully flinched backwards. Iris and Ron both grabbed Harry's arms, holding him back from attacking the boy.

"Harry," Iris said sternly, trying to get him to look at her instead, "Knock it off."

Ron stared at his best friend, shocked by his outburst, "It's only Malfoy, Harry. What'd you expect...?"

Malfoy straightned his robes, trying to act like he didn't just get scared. Harry glared at him, struggling against Iris and Ron's hands to yell at him, "Just— stay away from us..."

Malfoy scoffed, muttering to his friends as they walked away, "What'd I tell you— complete nutter."

They watched the Slytherins leave, but Iris and Ron didn't let go of Harry until they were a sizeable distance away.

Iris sighed. She looked down for a second before bringing her head back up to look at Harry. Her hands absentmindedly brushed her chocolate brown hair from her face as she frowned, saying, "Everyone already thinks we're crazy Harry, don't give them more reason."

Harry stared back at her for a moment before releasing a loud breath. Iris shared a look with both Hermione and Ron before the four of them, plus Ginny and Luna, continued their walk towards the castle in the distance. As the group approach the rain-washed road, one of the carriages was just leaving; inside sat the familiar face of Cho Chang, along with several of her friends. As Cho spotted Harry she hesitated, a shy smile coming across her face. Harry stared after her, raising his hand slightly to wave. Iris looked at her feet, a rare smile tugging at her lips as the carriage rattled away.