28 - Intense Downpour

Emerson's POV

"Wow Siobhan, you're an amazing cook! That was incredible, I swear none of my pants will fit by the time we return to Canada" I muse, having been spoiled with another three course meal with Arden's family.  

It's been pretty great having this opportunity to spend time with them all, get to know them although under better circumstances would have been nice.  I hadn't realized just how much I'd missed the feeling of being a part of a family, it's been over two years since I'd experienced one.  I lean back smiling at the chaos that ascends the household with us all here.  Arden and Tomas bicker to no end, like fully grown children, they require an umpire as soon as they're in a room together for longer the 5 minutes.  Malachi appears to have acquired the role, though he seems less than pleased about it.  I keep waiting for him to bang their heads together, the look on his face telling me its still a very strong option.

Next to me, Jillian and Ashling are having an in-depth discussion on the benefit of waxing over shaving, earning themselves some disgusted looks from the men, resulting in the ladies giggles before the purposely delve more into the subject just to get another rise from the men.  The entire picture was comical and juvenile and I loved it.  This is how family dinners are supposed to be right?! 

"Thank you lass, that's very kind  of you to say" Siobhan, Arden's mum, has to be one of the sweetest women I have ever met.  She dotes on her loved ones and I'm yet to hear her say a bad thing about anyone.  I love that about her, so down to earth and kind, nurturing.  It's  no wonder Arden is such an attentive and wonderful man.

"Please, let me help you Siobhan" I say, standing to collect dishes from around the table.

"Oh no, lass, It's fine.  I can do it" she replied, trying to offload my hands of the collection.

"I insist, please.  It's the least I can do," I respond, making my way towards the kitchen, calling over my shoulder as I go, "especially when you keep feeding me this well."

Following me into the kitchen, her soft smile brightening up the room instantly, she begins to humm as she sets up the dishwasher.  Joining her, I begin running dishwater in the sink, preparing to clean all the larger items, you know all those pots and pans that just don't get clean in the dishwasher.

"You really don't have to do that love" she adds, before continuing her humming.  

"I want to help Siobhan, I've been so inactive lately. I don't work, I'm not dancing currently, I've never had so much free time!  Besides, it gives me more time with you" I smile back at her, genuinely interested in spending more time with the woman that raised the greatest man in the world.

"Well, if you're sure love, I'd be happy for the company."

"Great, it's settled.  Lets get these out of the way, while you tell me all of Arden's dirty little secrets," I chuckle, returning to washing the pots.

Siobhan busied herself again, loading up the last of the utensils into the dishwasher, before turning it on and grabbing a tea towel to stand next me and dry the items I clean.

"Well, lass, going by how smitten he is of you, my guess is that he hasn't really kept any secrets from you.   I can tell you, out of the twins he was actually the cheekier of them, would you believe it?" 

"No way!!  Before meeting Tomas I may have believed you, but not now!! Tomas definitely gives off more of a ratbag vibe," I giggled, shock written all over my face!

"Oh dear, no Tomas just does that to wind him up lass, he was always the quiet boy.  Our Arden, gosh the amount of times I got called by the school - he should have been grounded right through college!" she stared off, lost deep in thought before shaking her head and turning to smile back at me.