A Rebel Wedding (Part Six)

Set after Return of the Jedi:

Summary – The time has finally come for Ezra Bridger to pop the question to Sabine, but will everything go as planned for the young Jedi? And will Sabine give him the answer he yearns for? (BF/GF)

The Phantom reconnected to the Ghost with a small rumble, and Ezra took a breath, inwardly planning how he was going to make his move. He wanted time to set something up, have the painting hanging in the background as he proposed. But smuggling it on board the Ghost without her noticing would be beyond difficult. He glanced at it again as he prepared to exit, smiling. Janyor had done beautifully, truly brining Sabine to life with his paints. That Bith was the perfect choice for propaganda chief in the New Republic, truly. With a breath, Ezra hid the ring box deep in his pocket, before carefully climbing down the main ladder. And of course, as it was when anything interesting happened around here, the entire crew had gathered to hear his explanation.
"Hey guys...you needn't have worried, I was just on an errand" he said casually, not wanting to give the game away too early. Zeb stood with his arms folded, a frown on his face.
"An errand, huh? And what might that be?" the Lasat questioned in an unconvinced tone. Ezra gulped subtly, he had to think fast.
"Chancellor Mothma contacted the Ghost late the other night and I answered. She just needed someone to make a delivery...some sort of propaganda leaflets. All sorted now" he explained in response. Zeb seemed content with that, probably not harbouring the energy nor desire to question Ezra ruthlessly. The others, however, didn't share this view.
"Why didn't you wake us, laserbrain? I don't want you going out on your own and dying just after we've won this thing. I know I can get a teensy bit mad when you wake me in the middle of the night...but rather that than something bad happening" Sabine retorted, sounding both irritated and concerned at the same time. She had a knack for that, especially when it came to Ezra. A teensy bit, yeah...right, Ezra thought to himself, remembering one time he'd woken her up and suffered a blaster pointed at his head. Mandalorians.
"It was really late, and I knew I could manage fine on my own. Besides, it was the night of the wedding and uh...well...you know...there are plenty of reasons I didn't want to wake Kanan and Hera" Ezra remarked, causing Kanan to cough awkwardly in the corner. Hera also seemed to bite her lip, a small knowing smile forming on her face.
"Yes...well...that was very kind of you, Ezra...thank you" Kanan stated, walking away in quite a hurry.
"Well if you're sure...just tell us next time, Ez" Sabine remarked, placing a hand on his shoulder with a smile before strolling off back towards their cabin.

Chopper and Zeb both took off towards the galley, the Lasat doubtless searching for some form of food while the droid endeavoured to annoy him. But Hera remained still, her feet planted to the ground with an expectant look. She folded her arms and shook her head slowly.
"The others might've bought that...but I'm not. Chancellor Mothma would never ask us to do something as simple as delivering leaflets, especially not when we're on leave. So...we're both going to stand here until you tell me the truth" she stated in a calm voice, tapping her heel against the floor. Ezra sighed in defeat. He'd known already that there was no fooling Hera. And there was no point in coming up with another lie either, she'd only see through that as well.
"I'm planning to propose to Sabine" he conceded casually, causing Hera's eyes to widen.
"What?!" she shouted, her voice cracking a little with surprise. Ezra swiftly darted forwards and shushed her, he didn't need the entire ship knowing.
"Shh...nobody else knows. It's a secret!" the Jedi whispered, gently pulling Hera out of the main corridor to ensure no-one could listen.
"W-what do you mean you're planning to propose? You?" Hera asked. She had known both Ezra and Sabine since they were teenagers, and it was no secret that she thought herself their mother. Such a revelation came as a huge shock to her...her kids were growing up.
"Zeb suggested it to me as a joke...but when I saw you and Kanan, saw how happy you were. I want that...for Sabine as well. I-I don't know how long it'll be before the next war...I'd hate myself forever if I didn't take advantage of this peace to focus on the things that really matter to me. That's why I want to marry Sabine..." he explained slowly, and Hera silently smiled, listening intently to every word. The way he talked about her, if she'd ever needed more proof that he loved Sabine, it was in his words.
"Do you have a ring?" the Twi-Lek asked simply, trying her very best not to overreact.
"Yep...commissioned by Luke Skywalker himself" Ezra confirmed, retrieving the box and opening it. Hera glanced at the multi-coloured gemstone and gave an approving nod.
"Sabine will love it...is there any way I can help?" she questioned. This was something she'd been waiting for a long time, if she could do anything to make it go smoother, she'd be glad to.
"Actually...yes. I also visited Janyor of Bith, Sabine's favourite artist, and got him to paint a picture of her. It's in the Phantom right now, if you could smuggle it down to the cargo hold without anyone seeing, that'd be perfect" the Jedi responded. Hera gave an impressed look; he'd even gone and gotten Sabine a gift as well. She could tell how hopeful Ezra was by the tone of his voice alone.
"Don't worry, Ezra. I know every nook and cranny of my ship; I'll get it on board without anyone seeing. I'll get to it now" she replied, getting the distinct feeling that Ezra needed some time alone with his thoughts. The Jedi gave a nod, stroking his chin in thought as he found himself alone once again. It felt good to get the secret of the proposal off his chest, at least he wasn't alone in it anymore. Now he just had to pick the ideal moment...or create it.