A Rebel Wedding (Part Eight)

Set after Return of the Jedi:

Summary – Ezra and Sabine go their separate ways for a stretch, the Jedi travelling to Lothal with Kanan to scout a venue, while the Mandalorian is accompanied by Hera on a dress-shopping trip to Garel. (BF/GF)

The Phantom detached from the Ghost with its usual din, not least because it was being piloted by a blind Jedi. Kanan had offered to fly to Lothal with Chopper's help, realising that Ezra was doubtless sick of flying after his trip to and from Bith. Ezra agreed happily, taking a seat in the passenger bay and leaning back with a sigh. It still felt like a dream. This would be the first time he'd seen Lothal in years, and his reason for going was because he was getting married to Sabine. Him! A former street rat! Saying that he felt like the luckiest guy in the galaxy would be a severe understatement. He actually felt like the luckiest guy ever in the history of everything. He almost wished he could go back in time and talk to his young love-stricken self, tell him that one day Sabine would fall for him too, that everything would end well. Happy endings were rare these days, and since he'd first met the feisty Mandalorian, he'd lost some people along the way. Sumar. Sato. Gregor. And of course, his parents, Mira and Ephraim Bridger. He wished they could see him now, he hoped they'd be proud.
"I never got the chance to ask...how are you feeling? I know how much stress a wedding can provide...more than most" Kanan questioned from the cockpit, snapping Ezra back to reality. The apprentice glanced forwards; surprised to see that they were already in hyperspace.
"Kanan...you can sense my emotions just as I can sense yours" Ezra remarked in response. Kanan gave a smile.
"True...but I'd rather hear it from you" he answered, turning to Ezra expectantly.
"I'm nervous. I'm happy. I'm shocked Sabine said yes, but I'm also glad. I'm sad because I wish my parents could be here. And I'm stressed because of how much work there is" the apprentice admitted honestly. He knew he could talk freely in front of Kanan, his master always knew when he was holding something back anyway.
"It's natural to be nervous. Behind the scenes, I was a wreck before our wedding. It was only thanks to Zeb that I avoided a panic attack, I still need to thank him for that. You'll do great" Kanan assured him in a soothing voice. Chopper beeped grumpily, roughly translating to 'and if you do kriff it up then it's only your wedding,' before laughing to himself. Ezra gave him a glare. As if I'd ever give that rust bucket an oil bath, he thought to himself in annoyance.
"Thanks, Kanan, and Chopper...unless you'd like to be used as target practice, I'd stop talking...thanks pal" Ezra remarked, using a fake sweet tone towards the droid. Chopper grumbled quietly to himself, turning back to face the ship controls and ignoring the conversation.
"We're approaching Lothal soon...best strap in" Kanan commented. Normally he'd chastise Ezra for threatening Chopper, but the droid had earned it. Ezra nodded his head and took a seat. He couldn't help but grin to himself as the ship began to rock, he was going home. It had been so long since he'd last seen Lothal, he could hardly wait to return there. And he wouldn't have to.

Meanwhile, aboard the Ghost, Sabine sank into her painted seat with a sigh, watching hyperspace stretch out before her. Hera sat in the pilot's seat, of course, and preferred to steer her ship through the space lanes manually rather than setting the autopilot. All the while, she wore this smile of almost childlike joy, the Twi-Lek was never happier than when she was flying her ship. Sabine supposed flying for Hera was like painting for her, an escape. As the Mandalorian sat in silent contemplation, Zeb walked into the cockpit, taking a seat beside her noisily.
"Contemplating your next painting?" he asked, immediately picking up on her silent musings. She gave a small smile.
"Well, I daresay this wedding business will give me enough inspiration for a year's worth of paintings...I'll have a lot of work to do" she replied, earning a small chuckle from the Lasat.
"I didn't think painting was work for you" he remarked, checking a hastily-written food list he was working on as he spoke. He was hardly organised, but nobody could claim he wasn't trying to help with the wedding.
"True enough...I just...I hope it all works out" Sabine responded. She thought back to Hera and Kanan's wedding, and how happy everyone had been then. More than anything, she hoped that her own marriage would be the same.
"You've got a fine crew helping you plan...you'll be fine" Hera shouted back, unable to turn around.
"Thanks!" Sabine answered, returning to her thoughts with a hum. It wouldn't be long until they reached Garel now, a few minutes at most. The thing she feared the most was that she wasn't good enough for Ezra. The Jedi would scoff at that, especially after all of the years he'd spent looking up at her with doe eyes. But it was true. He put so much effort into their relationship, there were times she didn't feel worthy of him. It wasn't that she opposed the romantic stuff, she just didn't know how to do it. Even when proposing, Ezra had gone and gotten her a thoughtful gift as well, just as an extra. Always the charmer, Sabine thought to herself.
"We're arriving! I'll land us down in the usual hangar!" Hera called back, as the Ghost rocked out of hyperspace. The Twi-Lek did not slow down as they entered Garel's atmosphere, zooming past a number of other ships on her descent. But she had the skill to pull it off, and before long, the Ghost came to a dignified landing. Time to go shopping.