Chapter 12 - Back To The Future

Shiloh and Peter head to the kitchen, Peter right behind Shiloh, his hand fully clasped around hers to the point where he's not actually sure if he's holding her hand or if he's actually just being extra sticky from the amount of anxiety flowing t...

Shiloh and Peter head to the kitchen, Peter right behind Shiloh, his hand fully clasped around hers to the point where he's not actually sure if he's holding her hand or if he's actually just being extra sticky from the amount of anxiety flowing through his veins.

Side effect of being Spider-Man: Extra sticky when nervous.

But, Shiloh doesn't miss a beat. Peter's hand actually sticking to hers has happened more times than either of them can count and she knows he'll be able to breathe a few times and calm himself down. This is one of the things they worked on together with his powers. Well, it was more of Peter explaining it to her and then her finding out on her own when Peter was terrified after the war against Thanos. Extra sticky. But he took a few deep breaths and calmed himself down, focused on her and the surrounding sounds, and he was fine. So, while things have changed and this is definitely one of the most anxiety-inducing experiences he's putting himself in, she knows he'll be fine.

"Hey, you guys made it." Randy chimes at the sight of Shiloh and Peter. "What's up, Peter? Long-time, no see."

Peter nods slowly. "Uh, y-yeah, yeah been...okay. You?" He gives Randy a smile and Randy quickly returns it.

"Good, running this place is a lot harder than I thought it'd be. May made it look easy."

"Yeah..." Peter says and Shiloh squeezes his hand. "She, uh, she-she was always really good run-running this place."

Randy nods, a sad smile now replacing the joyful one. "Yeah, I'm sorry about what happened."

"Thanks." Peter more or less says it under his breath, growing to hate that apology but also, what else are people supposed to say? And he's known Randy since college and he knows he means well so Peter just nods and looks to Shiloh.

"Right, anyway," Shiloh smiles at Randy. "What're we doing?"

"Right!" Randy says, waving them over to the counter. "Okay, one of you can start on the potatoes. Just cut them up, add butter, and some seasoning and then they go in the oven for ten minutes. I boiled them just before you got here." Randy explains. "And one of you can start plating some of the trays." He motions towards a large window, a few places for food underneath it and a stack of trays off to the side. "We start serving in about fifteen, twenty minutes." Randy gives them a reassuring smile before leaving them to decide who would do what.

"What d'ya wanna do, Pete?" Shiloh asks.

"Uh," He looks to their hands and to the window. He always worked the window when he came by so this is an easy choice. "I'll, uh, I'll plate."

"Okay." Shiloh gives his hand a squeeze but Peter doesn't let go. "You're sticky." She whispers and Peter's cheeks flare red.

"Mhm." He hums.

"You're okay." She reassures, her words calm and gentle.

"I know." He says, words unconvincing. "I know." He says again, this time trying to convince himself, letting himself focus on her and the clanking of spoon near the stove where another volunteer is stirring something and soon enough, he's able to let her hand go.