2) A Promise and the Unnecessarily Big Gate

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN NARUTO There's a bit of swearing in this chapter but the middle words are blocked out by Mr >.< who doesn't approve of Kida's internal swearing. Last of the prologue in this chapter leading to the current events. I reckon next chapter s>.<ts about to go down.

Kida's POV

Yep, over the 2 years that I stayed with her, that old hag threw so much different s>.<t at me. Cans, pitchforks, one time she threw literal s>.<t at me when she was clearing out the chicken coop with a shovel. She flung  that s>.<t with no mercy. Luckily by then, nothing could touch me. Those were the 2 most constructive years of my life. The experiences and training that Ms Takashima gave me heightened my senses, I took note of everything, I could sense an attack coming before she even triggered it. She made me run over mountains and taught me how to meditate.

One day she pulled out a set of kunai knives and shuriken, that had apparently once belonged to her son, and set up targets for me on the tree line that led into the mountains. I had a natural talent for it, I never missed. She had a black leather katana with a silver blade that she also trained me how to use, I trained from dawn to dusk for weeks until I had mastered it, of coarse there was no one I could train with who had another katana, but the crazy old lady was happy to throw kunai at me while I used the sword to deflect them. Honestly, I have no idea how or why the old lady knew all this stuff, and I was scared to ask... so I didn't.

I lived with the woman for 2 years and the only personal things that I ever told her about my past were that my mother passed away when I was 5, that there was no family left on her side and that I never knew my father but my mum had told me that he was a ninja from the Village Hidden in the Leaves. I shouldn't have told her that last part, that was my downfall.

It was 2 weeks ago, I had just come down from the mountains again after training and found Ms Takashima waiting for me on the front veranda. She smiled lightly, some of the lose strands of grey hair that had fallen from its bun at the nape of her neck framed her aged and withering face. In the 2 years that I'd known her, her appearance had changed a lot, I didn't understand the significance of this at the time.

I sat down beside her and looked out on the small surrounding properties. "Kida..." Her voice was quiet, barely a whisper, she rarely spoke like this. "If I am to pass, I want you to try and find your family. Family's important and if you know where to start looking then you shouldn't hesitate in trying to find them. I want you to promise me that you will try to find your family" Her statement shocked me, it was likely that my father was still alive, and I did know where to find him. But I didn't want to. I didn't want to walk into a strangers life and completely f>.<k s>.<t up for him.

I never would have imagined that someone who had played a major part of the last 2 years of my life could disappear so easily, which is what led me to say "I promise". She closed her eyes and smiled, leaning back further in the chair.

The next day I was woken in the morning by a knock at the front door. It was the doctor, he said that Ms Takashima had wanted him to come around that morning to check on her. She had passed away in her sleep.

I was sad at first, another person had left me alone. But then that sadness turned into confusion and then, as the pin dropped, absolute shock. The promise I had made to her just the day before filled my mind. That shifty old hag. She. Played. Me. For. A. Fool. No, no no, no no no no no, this can't be real, she could not have planned this, she wouldn't do this to me... oh wait, yes, yes she would, because she's old and old people are evil and manipulative and not right in the head.

Oh. My. God. I hate old people.

The doctor and some of the neighbours took care of the funeral arrangements and her assets. I left on the same day as the funeral, just after the ceremony. I had gone back to the house and packed a bag with food and supplies, I grabbed the kunais and shuiken and put them in a black leather pouch that wrapped around my thigh, as well as the katana that I strapped around my waist with a thick black belt. I grabbed a black hooded travelling cloak that reached to my knees and closed the door behind me, keeping my masked and hooded face expressionless as I fought the urge to look back at the place I called home for the last 2 years of my life.

And that's how I got here, walking down a wide, gravel road that supposedly led to my only known relative, my father. It annoyed me how one day everything could be normal and the next it all goes to hell. I hat that old hag a bit for what I was having to do, but I'm not one to break a promise and I guess in her own twisted old head she thought this would be the best way to move on with my life.

The trees got thicker as I walked through the forest and their foliage covered the path that I followed. I had been following the forest road for a long while now and now that the forest was denser, I could sense multiple someone's in the forest watching me, but not making a move to attack so I decided to ignore them but keep on my guard. They must be shinobi of the Hidden Leaf, which meant I was getting closer to my doom.

In the distance, I could see where my path ended. Tall wooden posts made up an unnecessarily big gate and high walls followed the gate around through the forest further than I could see. As I approached the 2 guards on either side of the gate stood to attention, hands reaching towards their weapons pouches. In an attempt to show them I was not a threat, I slid the black hood of my cloak off my head revealing my silver hair and masked face. I'm guessing that it worked because their hands froze over their pouches and they stare at me with huge bugged eyes and their mouths hung open in a permanent gasp.

One had black spikey hair with a bandage going across his nose and the other had brown hair that fell across his face under his bandanna. They both stared at me, still wide eyed. I could still feel the other presences in the forest surrounding where I stood.

This is unsettling... I cleared my throat before speaking hoping to bring them out of their trances. "I would like to speak with the Hokage" I said in an emotionless voice, keeping my face expressionless as I shifted my one visible eye between the two people in front of me. They both exchanged glances and coughed slightly before regaining their composure. The one wearing the bandanna disappeared in a puff of smoke for a moment before returning in another cloud of smoke along with two new guards. The two new guards replaced the bandaged nose and the bandanna mans places on either side of the gate.

The bandanna man spoke to me as he held out his hand for mine "My name is Izumo and this is Kotetsu and we will happily escort you to the Hokage's office" He smiled kindly as he said it and as uncomfortable I was with going with 2 strangers, they were going to get me to where I needed to be so I could fulfil my promise and get the hell out of there. I took his still outstretched hand and then he turned away from me towards who I now know to be Kotetsu as we were engulfed in a cloud of smoke.

3rd Person POV

Izumo and Kotetsu exchanged smirking glances that screamed 'this is going to be interesting' before disappearing in a cloud of smoke with the silver haired visitor that was remarkably similar to someone they both knew.

Kida's POV

We reappeared in front of a large red building. It was rather extravagant, I thought, but then again, it's been a while since I've been in a big village like this one. I really wasn't ready for this, curse that old woman. I had to keep fighting the urge to bolt, but luckily, I had a plan that kept me going through with this ridiculous promise. It was poorly constructed and I hadn't really thought it all the way through. But it was a plan, and I was going to stick to it... and hope for the best.