21) I Don't Wanna Be A Puppet

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN NARUTO I am so sorry... it's been over a month now since my last update and I need to stop procrastinating. Anyway, please enjoy.

KIDA'S POV
An unnerving chill crept up my spine as I continued to stare, unmoving into the seemingly darker forestry ahead of me.
My position in this clearing has made me vulnerable - unguarded - an easy target - to whatever is silently watching me from between the trees where a darkening aura has begun to emit.

There is something almost inhuman about my observer, no, there are two pairs of eyes trained on me, two observers. This feeling of unease that has come with their arrival, it's disturbing, and the atmosphere of the forest seems to have become more foreboding and threatening with their presence.

The silence that surrounded me now seems to have enhanced every other small sound that has begun to betray me as I stay crouched in the intensifying heat of the sun. The beating of my heart, while remaining even in pace, echoed through my ribcage and seemed to pound against my eardrums. The shaking breaths that escaped my lips with every calming exhale slivered through my mask and into the still air around me. The almost inaudiable sound of shifting spinters of wood from the puppet that I was still looming over. They all seemed to echo around the clearing as I tried not to shift position while waiting for the intruder to make their move.

My eyes widened slightly and I scolded myself for the small gasp that had escaped me. The previously gradual reintroduction of throbing aches that had inhabited my body were now increasing their pace as they spread deeper into my muscles and into my bones. My vision began to blur as the sudden assult rattled through my brain causing my head to pound.

My breathing became laboured as the pain familiarised itself with my body again and the last of the pain killers became diluted in my system. Having to conciously keep my limbs from shaking as I held the crouching position I was in, I could feel my palms and forehead begin to persperate.

'Yeah, this venture into the woods could most definitely be considered as an error of judgement... my bad...' I internally commentated as I tried to take my mind off the sudden onslaught of irritating physical symptoms of the muscle fatigue, fractured bones and whatever else the good Doctor had diagnosed me with. Surely it shouldn't be this bad after a whole week...

My mind snapped back to the present as I sensed movement from the forestry.
If I move, will they attack?
If I remain still, will they attack?
If I go for my weapons pouch, they'll probably attack...
I can unsheath my katana quickly if they attack, but I am in no condition to instigate a fight and prevail... I really shoulda thought this one through...
Damn it! Stay focused! I scolded myself before the intruders decided to give up on their 'here but not really here' thing.

"Hmmm it couldn't have been her that killed my pet" A deep gravely voice drifted through the trees causing my muscles to tense and my breath to hitch.

"I don't know Sasori, un, she looks quite incriminated at the moment." A second, more casual and younger sounding voice responded to the first.

"That was a stealth based puppet, Deidera, there's no way a mere child could have detected such an art piece. Especially one of mine..." The previously identified 'Sasori' grumbled lowly.

"Well maybe, Sasori my man, your so called 'art' is not as high grade as you think it is, un." The forementioned 'Deidera' teased, humour lacing his voice.

"Be cautious, Deidera, my partners never seems to last long and you are no exception." He seethed, the deadly aura in the air thickening.