14. Emory - Our End

It hit hard. It really it hard to know that I was solely responsible for the huge weight that lay on my shoulders.

Anura had done a superb job at getting Giana to trust me. But even she, did not know the full story. The only people who knew, were Giana and I. The difficult part of this was that only one of us remembered.

I lay awake in my bed. Tossing and turning, trying to think of how to go about telling Giana the difficult truth we were chosen to bear. I remembered the day that we had been told about this.

It was strange that Giana and I were chosen, given the fact we already had a very close friendship. Regardless of the fact that one of us could not remember that.

The harsh truth was that the lives of everyone in the City Sector were a lie. A smokescreen to hide the bigger issue. The people of the City believed that they were living in a perfect, undisturbed world. They could not have been further from the truth.

I looked over to where Giana lay peacefully sleeping. I smiled. She was finally getting some well deserved rest and I was happy that she was. What saddened me was that tomorrow, I would have to reveal the hard, sad truth to her.

I hated being the one to bear the bad news to her. I found comfort in the fact that she had heard the news before, so she would be able to handle it. I sighed. I would give anything for Giana to just Remember. That is all I desired at this point.

"Please Giana, remember", I whispered to the silent room.

With that I slowly drifted off into a slumber, completely unaware of the challenges that we both would have to face sooner rather than later.

***

I woke up with a start. I immediately looked over at Giana's bed and found it to be empty. Fear coursed through my body. I though the worst. That she had left and that I had lost her again.

A sound came from the bathroom and looking up, I saw Giana emerging from bathroom in a fresh set of clothes. I breathed a sigh of relief.

I had not lost her. Now came the difficult part.

"Giana", I called to her.

"Good Morning Emory", she replied softly.

"We have to talk", I said stiffly.

"About?", she responded curiously.

"You should sit down for this", I responded.

With that, I ushered her to the table where we had sat the night before.