16. Truth & Reality

Tears streamed down my face. I was heartbroken. Emory had told me everything, and although every fibre of my being wished he had not, I was glad I now knew the truth.

My life was a lie. Everything I had been taught, everything I had learnt about, all those years I spent training and learning were all futile. It was all a part of a giant cover up.

We worked well has a team. We ate regularly, stayed hydrated and took regular breaks. We talked when we needed to and spoke about a range of topics from first aid treatments to types of plants. Anything to fill the giant void that filled out hearts.

I had travelled the entire day with Emory by my side. He helped me through the difficult times, where I completely broke down into an emotional mess. He was there in the silent times when all I wanted to do was scream at everyone who had led us to being in this position.

He was with me in the most difficult moment of my life. Where I stood at the edge of my so called City, staring into a deep, dark black abyss spotted with stars.

It was in the middle of this endless darkness that a small blue planet lay. This planet was called Earth. Earth used to be our home, until The Leaders and generations before us had destroyed it to the point of no return.

Scientific and technological advancements eventually led to a group of individuals uprooting and moving a small group of people to Planet A - a temporary home. We were sent here as a test, to see if we could survive on such a planet. We were all just an Experiment.

It both pained and comforted me to know that Emory and I were the only two individuals on this 'planet' that knew the truth. I found comfort in the fact that nobody else would need to bear such a burden. But I also found pain in the fact that we were completely alone in this.

What The Leaders did not realise was that they were slowly killing Planet A too. Their arrogance and cowardice blinded them and so they eliminated anyone who tried to stand against  them. I was their biggest threat. Unpredictable meant dangerous and I was the very definition of Unpredictable.

That is what The Glow, The Tests and The Excursions were all about. Testing us to determine our qualities in order to establish our roles. Our paths were all determined, but what we did was chosen solely by us.

My role on Planet A was not established because I did not belong on Planet A. I belonged on Earth. The only way I could get back there was to save Planet A. I could not do that alone.

That is where Emory came in. It was his destiny to save his dying planet but it was solely his choice to choose to help me. That is where Anura had gotten it wrong. It was all about choice.

It was there, in that very moment where I stood at the edge of my world staring at a small dying blue planet that I realised that I alone was not Flawed.

Humanity was.