Interrogator Iris

Start from the beginning

"I wrote that you have beautiful eyes," said Iris. "So, if there turned out to be an attraction, what would you do?"

"Think really hard about it," said Parker.

"I don't think much thinking would be required. Personally, I think you and Barry would make a great couple," predicted Iris.

"Don't set us up," pleaded Parker. "If you're looking for someone to set up, do it to Cisco. He could use a girlfriend."

"Cisco, right. After I get you and Barry together, I'll work on him."

"I'm leaving now."

"That's fine. I've got all my information. Good day, Park!"

Parker stared after the woman. "I'm going to regret that interrogation. I can feel it already."

××××

As always, the time at S.T.A.R Labs was uneventful. Cisco and Parker were on round seven of a card game she introduced to him, called B.S. He was terrible. He called B.S. on almost everything she put down.

A rush of wind sent their cards flying. They looked in front of the desk. Barry wasn't standing. His crimson clad body was collapsed on the floor.

"Barry!" shouted Cisco worriedly.

Parker and Cisco struggled to sit Barry's weak body on the cot. She dragged a stool in between his legs. Barry's upper body slumped against her own. His head rested on her shoulder. She let him stay there, allowing him to catch his breath.

"I'm going to find a first aid kid," said Cisco.

"Barry?" mumbled Parker.

"The suit..."

"What about it?"

"You have to help me take it off," he slurred.

"Barry, please, we haven't even been on our first date," said Parker.

Barry laughed, but he was forced to stop rather quickly, once he figured out it hurt him to do so.

Parker leaned closer to him, fingers tapping along his back for the zipper. She managed to shimmy the suit down to his waist. It was as far as they could get without help from someone else.

Heels entered the room, followed by the whirring of Dr. Well's wheelchair.

"Does it look bad?" asked Parker. She wasn't able to observe his injuries, since he was in an entirely too close proximity to her.

"The abrasions are already rapidly healing," noticed Caitlin.

Barry regained enough strength to kick off his suit. He, with help from Cisco and Parker, pulled on jeans. Parker requested he leave his shirt unbuttoned. He slouched on the bed once more.

"I got my ass handed to me," he announced.

Cisco cradled the discarded suit in his hands. "You got blood on my suit," he whimpered.

"I think some of it belongs to him," said Barry tiredly. "Another not-so-friendly meta-human."

Though she remained silent, Parker was frustrated. She found extreme difficulty in helping Barry stay upright, apply ice to his excessive bruising, and heal the cut on his forehead. Her jaw was clenched to the point where Barry was afraid they were going to start hearing her teeth break.

Barry shifted his weight onto one arm. He held the ice pack in place for her. He watched her intensely, hoping to see the action bring her to ease.

"Stop looking at me, would you?" she sighed. "I can't concentrate."

"I'm only watching," he said innocently.

"No, you're staring."

"Gazing."

"Admiring," she said sarcastically.

"Well, you aren't wrong," said Barry. He hadn't thought about his words. His cheeks turned red.

Parker leaned close to his bare chest in wrapping the bandage along his torso. Her chilly fingers ran across his back. He flinched. She apologized. The entire exchange was painfully awkward.

"Danton Black," introduced Dr. Wells, showcasing a photo of the man on the television screens. "Bio-genetic scientist, specializing in therapeutic cloning. He replaced failing organs with improved ones."

"Apparently, Stagg stole his research, then fired him," added Caitlin.

"I saw Black recreate duplicates from his own body," said Barry.

"That's pretty ironic," noted Cisco. "The guy specialized in cloning, and now he can make Xeroxes of himself."

Dr. Wells peered at the photo. "If he was experimenting on himself when he was exposed to the wave released by the Particle Accelerator Explosion..."

"Meet Captain Clone!"

All eyes shamefully turned to Cisco.

"Don't worry. I'll come up with something cooler," he promised.

Barry's hands fell on Parker's stool. He moved her body to the side, sliding past her. For a brief second, his hand lingered on her thigh, a silent act of gratitude for nursing him back to health.

"Where are you going?" asked Caitlin.

Barry stopped in the doorway. "Joe was right. I'm in way over my head. I'm fast, but I'm no warrior. I could barely fight one meta-human, let alone six."

"Barry, I understand. Today was a setback. Any grand enterprise has them. We can never learn to fly without crashing a few times," said Dr. Wells.

"This wasn't a grand enterprise, Dr. Wells," admitted Barry honestly. "This was a mistake."

"Hold on, Barry, you can't just give up," said Parker. She would have continued, if Barry wasn't shaking his head at her.

"Look, I know you want me to be some hero, Parker, but I can't. I can't do that for you," he told her. He backed out of the Cortex. "I'm sorry."