Chapter 20 - *Alternate Ending*

Start from the beginning

"Yep, that'd be me! And according to Coyote, you're willing to do some water witching for a motorcycle?"

"Yep. Coyote said you need a water well. It should only take a few days if we use our time wisely. Sound good?"

"Perfect!" the mechanic replied, tossing the rag over his shoulder. "Prove your worth, and I'll let you bring the bike back anytime for free maintenance."

"Oh, I'm worth it. You'll see. Shall we get started?"

"Confident fella. I can appreciate that. How about you come inside, set your bags down, have some breakfast? Then we can get to work."

"Deal!"

As Corbin followed the man into his shop, he could smell the pine from the surrounding trees mixing with motor oil, and it filled his lungs with new hope for tomorrow.

With The Hounds gone and a new motorcycle, he was ready to explore the country.

And live free. Truly live free, without fear.

∆∆∆

When Archibald, Luna, and Jasper made it to the brewery, they entered with a round of applause from citizens. The bartender even rang a cowbell and began fixing celebratory drinks. As they walked over, patrons parted like the sea while patting their backs and cheering. By the time they made it to the bar stools, they each had lipstick marks on their cheeks from the enthusiastic salutations.

"Welcome back! Hasn't been the same without you," the bartender said, sliding them cocktails.

"So..." Archibald leaned in. "What's with these flyers at the gate?"

"Oh, those?" The bartender nodded at the one in Luna's hand. "Garbage. We've worked hard keeping this place as an oasis, and now the government wants to swoop in. Make changes. They're going to turn our lake into a dump!"

"What about the fellow who signed his signature at the bottom? Does it mean anything to you?" Jasper asked.

"Well, he's part of the changes the government will make. They've divided the country into regions, and this Gavin guy is the new Warden appointed to oversee the west. Have y'all not been listening to the radio? He's supposed to be tough as nails and promised to bring changes like some politician, but I doubt it. Politics died long ago when this drought forced us to make our own rules, and now the government wants to change what we've all grown used to? Oh, and get this, his ex-wife is the Water Division head and leading the campaign recruiting Water Witchers. Sounds like a trap if you ask me."

"You might be right." Archibald flashed his eyes to Luna over the rim of the glass.

"Hey, as a welcome back gift, I'll give you a tip," the bartender whispered. "See that man sitting at the poker table with the stocky build, wearing a Hawaiian shirt? Well, he's been coming in here all week. He spends money at the card tables, and the rest of the day upstairs with the ladies."

"Sounds like a man with deep pockets," Jasper replied.

"Sure does! Anyway, I'll catch up with you three later." The bartender rapped his knuckles against the bar top. "It's great having you back!"

As soon as he walked away, Archibald faced Luna. "What do you make of everything he said, sweetheart?"

"Do you remember my vision? How bodies were falling from the sky and I heard a name in the thunder?"

"Yes."

"Do you remember how, after we executed The Hounds, there was thunder?"

"I do."

"Well, I heard a name."

"Was it Gavin?" Jasper leaned in closer with a hand between Luna's shoulder blades.

"It was."

"The same name on this flyer." He pointed to the one still clutched in Luna's hand. "So, what does this mean?"

"I'm not sure, and I can't help but have this feeling..." Luna rubbed her sternum, trying to form her thoughts. "What I saw in Corbin's eyes is bigger than I thought."

"So, is Corbin still in danger?" Archibald asked.

"I don't know. We might have to wait and see what happens?"

"Alright, I trust your judgment." Archibald kissed her temple. "In the meantime, let's learn more about Mr. Hawaiian shirt and do what we do best."

"Rob people blind?" Jasper grinned.

"Looks like it's back to business as usual." Luna cracked her knuckles and strutted off to work on their new mark.

***

Head to the next chap for the continuation 👉🏽