Chapter 19 - Rescue

As Luna stood on top of the wagon, Merric rose from his seat in the front row and turned. Hounds surrounded her, and despite the throbbing pulse in her neck, she wasn’t afraid. Help was on its way. Crouching, she kept her eyes on Merric as he made his way towards her and peeled back the tarp on the wagon, revealing his daughter. The Hounds leaned, weapons in hand, and like a wave in the ocean, confusion rolled across their faces.

When Merric shoved his way through the crowd, Luna untied the blindfold from his daughter’s face. The girl’s frantic eyes scanned the audience around her and landed on her father, who stared back at her without a single sign of emotion.

“Who is this?” he asked.

“Your daughter.” Luna lifted her chin.

The Hounds began laughing so hard they had to use one another for support while wiping tears from their eyes. Sweat gathered in Luna’s palms, and the baby hairs stood on the back of her neck as if electrified. Why were they laughing? Merric’s giant muscular arms lifted as he motioned for The Hounds to quiet down.

“I don’t have children.” He wagged his finger. “So whatever you’re here to prove, your time is up!”

Lunging forward, his meaty hands latched onto Luna’s legs, causing her to fall onto her bottom as he dragged her from the wagon. Panicked, she grabbed the side rails, but it was no use as her hands slipped. Her body thudded against the dirt as Merric snatched her by the shirt collar and raised her to eye-level. 

“Look at me!” he snarled while giving her a rough shake, but Luna’s head bobbed like a water buoy. “You came into my camp with this imposter and killed my second-in-command! I will enjoy feeding you to my Hounds.”

Around him, the men began barking. Luna blinked a few times, trying to refocus. They had been naïve to believe the Scout was Merric’s daughter, and she was smarter than them by lying to save her life. Luna laughed. How foolish they’d been.

“What’s so funny, little girl?” Merric sneered. Luna paused from chuckling to herself and locked eyes with him. An energy-filed current pulsed through her limbs as a message appeared in his obsidian eyes—one that only she could see. Merric shook her again. “What is so funny!”

But Luna laughed harder, so he dropped her, and she hit the ground like an anvil.

“Ouch,” she chuckled while rubbing her side.

Guests were out of their seats with their complete attention on the scene taking place while whispering and pointing. Luna looked up and stared at Merric but continued giggling like a madwoman.

“Shut up!” he shouted while striking her across the face.

She held her cheek but kept her eyes on him—the smile not fading from her lips.

“Is she the one who killed Alexander?!” said Joanie, the mohawked woman. She pushed through the crowd but narrowed her eyes when she spotted Luna. “Wait, I know you...”

“WHO IS SHE,” Merric demanded. 

“The whore from that bar in Lake Tahoe.” She pointed.

Merric shifted his attention and crouched in front of Luna, and she could feel the humidity of his breath as he said, “If you don’t tell me what you’re doing here, I will kill you with my bare hands.”

“I’m Luna, daughter of Archibald and Lilliana, born on a blood harvest moon and blessed with the gift of seeing.”

Merric reeled back with furrowed brows. “You lie. You don’t have the gift.”