Chapter 20 - *Alternate Ending*

This is where the ending changes compared to the epilogue. Enjoy!

****

After driving through the night, they made it back to Lake Tahoe with the rise of sun stretching its fingers of light across the blue body of water. Corbin was fast asleep in the back seat when the screeching of the rusty gates sliding open woke him up. Before Archibald rolled the truck forward, the guards handed them an orange-colored flyer as they welcomed them.

"What's it say?" Luna asked, leaned forward to look over Jasper's shoulder.

"Says the government is looking for Water Witchers to volunteer. That can't be right," Jasper replied, handing it to her.

Scanning over the words, she sputtered out, "Says here that it's for a new program run by the Water Division. Whatever that is. And it looks like they're going to build desalination factories along coastal states. What in the world is going on?"

"This must be what Gunner was talking about," Jasper replied. "Remember when he said how the government was changing to fix the chaos the drought created?"

"Yes, I do." Archibald nodded, steering the truck through town. "Just didn't realize things would change so soon, though."

After a few minutes, Archibald pulled into a mechanic shop on the town's outskirts. It was just as Coyote had described, with mountains of car parts everywhere and a giant, grey, metal sign with faded letters that said, Red's Automotive.

"Well, Corbin, looks like this is where we leave you," he said.

"Thanks for the ride," Corbin replied as they all stepped out of the truck.

"Are you sure you don't want to join us at the brewery?" Luna yawned, stretching.

"Positive."

"So, you're leaving from here?" Jasper asked.

"Yeah, but I'll be back."

"We'll hold you to that, you know." Archibald pulled him into a hug. "You're one of us now."

Right as they separated, Luna wedged herself between them and wrapped her arms around Corbin's torso. "Don't forget about us!"

"I won't."

"I mean it!" She squeezed him hard, forcing him to gasp in response. "Come see us."

"I will if you don't kill me first."

"Alright, Luna, give me a turn, will ya?" Jasper peeled her away.

"Fine!" She curled her lip at him.

They embraced, with Jasper holding on longer than Corbin expected him to. So he relaxed his shoulders, letting the moment soak as their lungs expanded and contracted in unison. When they pulled apart, Jasper looked him in the eyes with hands going to Corbin's upper arms.

"Take care of yourself, brother. We'll miss you."

"I..." Corbin's voice cracked, tears burning in his eyes as he realized he didn't know when he'd see them again, despite the promises. "I'll miss all of you too."

Without hesitation, Archibald, Luna, and Jasper threw their arms around him one last time and squeezed. Then they hopped into the truck and drove away, taking a piece of him with them as loneliness settled into the depths of his stomach.

"So are you the fella Coyote told me about?"

Corbin wiped his eyes and spun around to face the mechanic standing in the shop's garage with a grease-stained rag in hand. "Yeah, that would be me. So are you, Red?"