Chapter Thirty Six:

Despite the strong urging in my gut, I don't bother to confront Miley as I walk into the girl's locker room. She glances over as I stop in front of my locker and shoots me a small smile, but I ignore her. I twist the lock and open my locker. Throwing my backpack into the small metal cage, I wriggle into my gym clothes and then slam the locker door shut. 

Miley twists her own lock and pauses, "Alice?"

I don't really look at her, but I arch an eyebrow and let out a small grunting noise, just to let her know that I'm listening. She folds her arms across her chest, "Are you alright?"

"No," I answer honestly. 

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No." 

We step out into the gym, and an uncomfortable silence washes over us. I keep my gaze glued to the shiny wooden floor planks. It isn't worth it. I don't feel like confronting her about it, because then I'd have to listen to her argue about it. There was a good chance that she would get offended. Then I would have to deal with that too. It was already giving me a headache, and it hadn't even happened. 

I fiddle with the hem of my shit as we walk over to our group, and line up so Godzilla can take attendance. Gym progresses quietly; I only completely run over one person in my attempt to spike the volleyball, which is an amazing feat in itself when considering my mean competitive streak. When it's over, Miley and I dress out in silence, and then exit the locker room. She pauses just outside the door and frowns at me. 

Blue-Eyes waits several feet away and, without sparing Miley a glance, walk over to him. I grin and he pecks my forehead before he asks, "How was gym?"

"Alright, I guess." I glance over my shoulder. Miley stands beside Devon, sporting a slightly wounded expression, and Carl scratches the back of his head. Devon's gaze is focused in our direction and narrowed into a dirty glare. 

"Did you talk to Miley?" Blue-Eyes's gaze follows my own. 

"No," I cross my arms over my chest. He nods; his facial features twist into something grim. I smile half-heartily and he winds an arm around my waist, pulling me into his chest. "I just can't believe that she would do that. Of all people," I grumble into his t-shirt. 

He squeezes me tight and sighs, "I know. I tried to tell you." 

I mumble something under my breath, and Blue-Eyes releases me. His hand finds mine and we start walking toward  our classes. As I slow to a stop in front of my chemistry classroom, he presses his lips into a tight line. We face each other, and he stares intently at my face.

I grimace, "What?" 

"I hope you like to bowl," he flashes a sheepish smile at me, "Because I'm going to take you to the bowling alley after school."

"Really?" I arch an eyebrow, "You're so cheesy." My lips twitch into a small smile and I fold my arms across my chest. "I'd love to go, but I have a math test to study for," I sigh. The bell rings, and one of the teachers starts to usher everyone lingering in the hallways to go to class. 

"You'll be fine," Blue-Eyes rolls his gorgeous eyes and leans in. He presses a chaste kiss to my lips, "You're the smartest girl I know." 

"Your flattery is pointless," I open the door to the classroom. "My mother will never let me go." 

He glances back over his shoulder and closes one eye in a sly wink, "We'll see." 

I shake my head and enter the classroom. We have a very simple lab today; one where were are to identify weird looking slides with a microscope and jot down the answers in a packet. When the bell rings, I pack up my things and meet Blue-Eyes near the Art building. He grabs my hand but remains quiet throughout the walk into the classroom and the rest of the period. I eye him curiously and chat with Amanda until the bell rings, and we're free to go home.