Chapter Sixty Three:

"And so that's how she has this really fancy date with a policeman tonight," I explain to a very excited Amanda and Kylie. Both sit in desks in front of me, twisted around to face me. Kylie's elbow is propped against the back of her chair, her chin resting against her palm. Her eyes are half-lidded, expression dreamy. Amanda kind of bounces in her seat and grins like a kid locked inside a candy store.

Even Ms. Henry looks happy, grading papers at her desk. "I'm so happy for your mother, Alice. She deserves to go on a nice date."

I meet her kind gaze and nod in agreement. I'm kind of happy for my mother and yet kind of worried about this date. It could go very well or very sour, and I don't want to have to hurt a police officer.

"It's just so sweet!" Kylie coos in excitement.

Amanda dramatically pretends to wipe at a tear. "I expect to be invited to the wedding, okay? Or in it. I mean, I could totally rock being a flower girl."

Kylie glances at Amanda, her lips pursed. "You'd make a horrible flower girl," she says, trying not to laugh. "You'd probably try to throw the flower petals at people."

I snort and then pause, squeezing my eyes shut. A small burst of pain explodes in my lower region. As soon as it appears, it vanishes. I have no clue what it is, or what it means but it's been happing all day long. It doesn't hard that bad though, so I've tried not to worry the others.

Ms. Henry laughs at Kylie's comment and sets her papers aside. A buzz sounds, and an announcement is made on the intercom system for the teachers –something about new cameras going up around campus. I don't really pay attention to it because it's after school hours. The only reason I am still here is because we picked up our gowns and tassels from Ms. Henry. Mine currently sits atop the desk, wrapped up in plastic.

"I probably need to get going soon," I say as I reach out and brush my fingers over the plastic. "My mom is going to need someone to help her get dressed."

Kylie and Amanda exchange a look. "We'll come over tonight to hang out. We can order pizza and have a movie night," the latter says.

I nod and climb to my feet. As I do, a knock raps against the door.

Ms. Henry pushes away from her desk and rushes over to the door. It's pulled open to reveal a tall man with a five o'clock shadow and an armful of red roses. He steps inside, his gaze flickering around the room. His cheeks are speckled with blush as he looks back to Ms. Henry. "Hey, Diane."

Her face is redder than the roses. "What are you doing here, Matt?"

Matt smiles sheepishly and scratches at the back of his head. "I wanted to surprise you with these," he says and holds out the roses. "And I wanted to see if you would like to go to a movie tonight..."

I smile and glance toward Amanda and Kylie. Both look somewhat shocked, yet happy for our beloved teacher. I clear my throat and gesture for the two to follow me. "We're going to head home now," I announce.

Ms. Henry moves away from the door as I waddle toward it. Like the perfect gentleman, Matt holds it open for me and the others. I wave goodbye to Ms. Henry and wink. She turns bright red again and the door shuts behind us. When we get a little further down the hall, I ask, "So who in the world was that?"

Amanda snickers. "Her boyfriend, I think."

Kylie clutches her plastic-wrapped gown/tassel to her chest and sighs. "Everyone is getting into a relationship, and yet here I am. Single as ever."

"Maybe you just need to broaden your search," Amanda says and pats her sympathetically on her shoulder.

I roll my eyes. We step out into the sweltering heat of almost-summer and start toward the parking lot, where Amanda's van waits.

Both Amanda and Kylie start to walk ahead of me. I linger behind and watch them, hugging my own plastic thing to my chest. Amanda loops her arm through Kylie's and grins slyly at her. Kylie smiles back, giggling loudly. The more that I think about it, the more I realize how right Kylie is. Everyone IS getting into a relationship. My mom and that police officer. Ms. Henry and her new boyfriend. Even Amanda and Kylie seem pretty cozy together.

It makes me happy that everyone around me is so happy, so in love. But it also kind of hurts.

There were two points in time that I thought I had found that kind of love. One was with Blue-Eyes, with Seth, when I genuinely thought that he loved me. I had been so happy to be with him, even though he treated me like crap. And then the second was with Jake.

The more I think about Jake, the more I wonder what he would say to me now.

I wish I knew what he thought about my little peanut. I could hear him now, laughing about how I would be the one to get pregnant the second she loses her virginity.

My life has changed so drastically since I left him in my hometown.

And as I rub my stomach absently, I can't help but think that my life has changed for the better. If Jake hadn't been in that accident...if my mother hadn't gotten her new job...if I hadn't met Seth, my little peanut wouldn't exist right now. I look up toward the brilliant blue sky.

Something warm and wet trickles down the side of my thigh. I freeze, my eyes shooting open wide as another bout of pain clamps at my innards. When it passes, I look down and stare at the concrete. A small irregular shaped circle of wetness surrounds my shoes. For a second, I think I've pissed my pants and I start to get very embarrassed.

Then another pain grasps at me. I gasp and clutch at my stomach.

Amanda and Kylie whirl around, their eyes wide.

"Alice!" Kylie starts to freak. "Your water just broke!!"

~

Two more chapters, y'all! I'm not sure I can handle it ;-; 

Thank you for your support and patience with this story!! <3 All your votes and comments and shares and etc mean the world! :D