Chapter 23: Working Under Pressure

Quills furiously scratching across parchment. The deafening noise that echoes through the hall and crawls inside each student's ears. At the head of the isles in this boundless exam hall, a pendulum clock swings to count the seconds. Eventually, the deep toll of a bell rings strong throughout. "Quills down, please," announces the head invigilator. The noise ceases in a single second, a shock to the nervous system. For a second the students sit there stunned like zombies until each experiences a unique reaction. Some burst out crying, others laugh in triumph. One angrily swipes his papers off the desk in a fit of rage. Someone throws a pencil. Severus and Lily steal from the hall, laughing and exchanging thoughts on the exam. 

"What did you put for Question 7?" Asks Lily. 

"That one threw me off," Severus admits with a groan. "I didn't expect there to be an 8-mark question on Wolfsbane!"

"Guess that's the difference between the Advanced NEWTS and the OWLS..." 

There's still an hour before the practical Advanced Potions exam, worth 60% of their grade. So they go to Slughorn's lab and grill him over techniques, ensuring their knowledge is perfect and that they have a wide enough scope of applications for whatever they might throw at them. Just as the exam is due to begin, Severus and Lily enter the hall to take their seats. Before tney can though, Harry calls on them from down the corridor. He's running, to catch them, cloak comically billowing our behind like a cape. With seconds to spare, he reaches the doorway. 

"What is it? We have to-" Severus begins, but is cut off by a kiss immediate in its passion. Fierce and long, the lovers are pulled apart by the clock chime once again to start the exam. Harry places his hands firmly on Severus' shoulders, eyes flashing with a look of determined encouragement. 

"I'm not going to say good luck because you don't need it," Harry states with finality, just because he's superstitious. Severus nods before whisking into the exam hall with Lily, tall doors slamming closed behind them. 

2 hours later, they emerge from the potions hall. Smudges of black soot stick to Severus' white shirt, he's rolled up his sleeves and his arms are blackened from the wrist below by the ingredients. Lily's hair singed and smelling of smoke at the ends. Maybe there was a small explosion. Harry slides off the windowsill he was sitting on, approaching with nervous anticipation. His chest tight, hands wringing and clenched tightly with anticipatory dread. He knows Severus is clever, that doesn't stop him being a ball of stretched nerves. "Well?" he asks, fearing the worst when neither students says anything, their expressions to numb. Eyes glassy. 

Severus breaks into his favourite shit-eating grin. "We both got an Outstanding in the practical," 

Harry can't keep himself from letting out a small shout, before breaking into relieved laughter. "Oh my, that's fantastic!" tears spring in his eyes, he shouldn't be so proud... Harry remembers his own exam results, how nobody but his friends congratulated him. It must be the same for Severus. "Both of you, well done!" 

"Thank you Professor!" Lily can't stop smiling either, delightedly expecting her parents' doting reactions when the letter reaches them. 

"We must celebrate!" Harry decides. 

"Aren't we better doing that when all our proper results come in?" Severus asks, the grin now replaced by his trademark frown. Harry knows he's still excited though, he's just forcing it down for his reputation. 

"Yes, you're right," Harry admits sheepishly. "I got a little carried away - I'm just so excited!" 

James walks out the adjacent hall, them just having finished their OWLS. Harry rushes over, pulling him into a hug immediately. The result doesn't matter - he's still getting a hug. "How did it go?" Harry asks, once he's released him. This nervousness is back, though not so intensely considering he's only got one person to worry about now.