Chapter 8: The Book

Question:  Do you guys like the way I write Harry?

James slams the book down on the table, a thick cloud of dust puffing out from the underside. The Marauders jump from the shocking thud! the heavy leather makes on their oak table. Remus frowns, gingerly taking the corner of the dragonhide cover and opening the book, peering at the title. "'A Trickster's Guide to Tomfoolery'. James, what's this?" he asks, looking up in confusion at their group founder.

"Exactly what it sounds like," James grins, starting to skim through for anything interesting. "Low level dark magic comprised in a joke book! It can cast many malicious but arbitrary enchantments and even has potions!"

"Like love potions?" Sirius snickers. "You wanna use one on Lily?"

"Actually I have a different plan," James winks at him. Everyone knows not to ask about it, so Remus starts flipping through pages himself. It's approaching the end of the month, and he wants to try something fun from this book with The Marauders before he needs to leave.

"Hm, look at this enchantment. It's meant to decrease the sensory abilities of animagi," he reads. "So our sense of smell, sight, hearing and taste will be decreased when we change form. This will make it easier for us to deal with our changes! I've been looking for something like this!"

"True, it is difficult when you have the hearing of a dog," Sirius agrees. "How does it work?"

James stands, tearing another miscellanies page from the book, stuffing it in his pocket and leaving the rest with them. "Good idea, work on that - especially you Remus. You're good with enchantments,"

"I'm better with D.A.D.A, but I'll do my best," he agrees.

"What about you?" Peter asks in suspicion, not missing the paper James ripped out. "What are you gonna do?"

"I have detention now, I'm afraid," James sighs, sounding more content than he should with his involuntary volunteer work. "I'll back back later,"

When James reaches the library he finds his father and Severus exchanging pleasantries at the end of the table. Odd. As far as he knows, Severus hates Harry and not just for being James' father. Also for being the boy who lived, revered as this special celebrity. Well, that's something they both hate about him. Being the son of the Boy Who Lived and the Minister of Magic puts a lot of expectations on someone, especiall since it's basically forced him into a leader role among his friends and led all the teachers to compare him to his father. Although thankfully Harry was a lil shit in school too.

"Oh, it's you," Severus stands, seemingly relieved James has arrived so they can begin work and escape the awkwardness that is Harry Potter.

"What are you waiting for?" Severus leers over at him. "We have to get to work,"

"Who are you talking to, Snivellus?" James scoffs back, but slips off his robe and follows Severus through the library isles. This time their assignment is to be on the lookout for any books placed back in the wrong order/ messily. Usually they is themselves with magic, but some errors are too extreme for the books themselves.

"Merlin's beard!" Like this one. "Who leaves a book from the restricted section just lying around where anyone could get it?!" Severus demands the last student to check this book out.

"I'll put that back for you," James easily grabs the book from Severus' hands, who just glares after him. He watches James trot off to the Restricted Section and by now is just too tired to care. James Potter isn't his problem, he can do what he likes. Or so he thinks, before James returns with the biggest shit-eating grin Severus has ever seen. Great, what's he grinning about now?