Chapter 21

"You get the fuck back here or I'll burn him!" Brett shouts after Jenny as she disappears into the trees, getting a hold of Adam. He struggles in his grip and starts to scream for help as Brett starts pouring gasoline all over him. "Help! Jenny, help!" He cries out, tears now rolling down his cheeks.

I watch in horror, trying not to hyperventilate, my eyes scanning the situation

I watch in horror, trying not to hyperventilate, my eyes scanning the situation. Adam is crying and screaming out for help as Brett throws him over to Mark. He then lights a match and that is when I have to look away. I squeeze my eyes shut and cover my ears with my hands, waiting for the horrific screams. But they never come.

Ricky releases me and I collapse onto the ground, falling onto my knees. I stare at the ground with wide eyes. My entire body is shaking and I slowly move my eyes up, only to see Adam running off into the forest.

Mark is about to follow after him, but Brett stops him, "leave that little fucker, he won't get far."

"No." I repeatedly shake my head, hoping all of this is just a terrible nightmare that I'll wake up from. "No!" I pull at my own hair and scream in frustration, before looking up at Brett, nothing but pure hatred in my eyes. He turns his head to face me and I slowly get myself off the ground. I face him, my legs slightly shaking underneath me. Cooper looks at me with a regretful expression, almost as if he's silently apologizing. My eyes then land on Harry, who's eyes are red and puffy from the crying, his face stained with tears. He looks at me and he shakes his head, silently warning me, as if he knows about what I'm intending to do. Tears are brimming in his eyes and be bites his lip, turning his head away. Paige, Mark and Ricky just stand around, waiting to see what's going to happen next.

I see Paige put back Steve's phone into her pocket and all the fear I felt seems to suddenly disappear as it is being replaced with anger and hatred. My eyes lock with Brett's as I take deep breaths. "You. You sick bastard!" My vision is blurry from the tears as I charge at him. It all seems to be going in slow motion. I know it's stupid and reckless, yet I can't stop myself. It's almost as if I don't have control over myself and my actions anymore.

I tackle him onto the ground, landing on top of him. "Fuck you!" My fist connects with his jaw, but before I'm able to stike again, he flips us around. The fear seems to come back now that he's on top of me. I try and push him off me, putting all my strenght and energy into it, but he is too strong. He starts choking me and I try to get his hands away from my troath. Black spots enter my vision when he suddenly lets go of me and yanks me up with him. I stagger as I try to regain my vision.

He moves closer to me, pushing me up against a tree and pressing his body against mine, trapping me. My back collides with the tree and I wince in pain. Brett then takes out a knife, placing it against my throat. "We'll find the bitch and I'll let you kill her."

I bite my lip and decide not to say anything in return. Afraid that the smallest movement will make him cut my throat. He glares at me and pushes the blade deeper into my skin. I wince upon feeling a small drop off blood dripping down my throat.

"Brett.." He lowers the knife upon hearing Cooper's voice and I can't help but to feel slightly disappointed, hoping that it would've been Harry who would step up.

Brett glances around and inhales deeply, "come on, let's go find the bitch!"

The boys get to their bikes quickly, but before they can jump on, Brett feels the need to open his filthy mouth once again, "not you!" He strides over to Harry, pulling me along roughly as I suffer through the pain in silence. "You stay here, make sure she doesn't escape again." He throws me onto the ground and I fall onto my hands and knees. Brett and the others leave without saying another word. As soon as they're out of sight, I feel Harry pulling me up from the ground. The moment I'm up, I shove him away from me in both disappointment and rage and I grit my teeth, "don't touch me."

"Maysa-"

"No!" I interrupt him, "how could you!" I start to pace around, not knowing what to do anymore.

"I didn't want this!" He cries.

I look at him, before moving my gaze towards the ground, "you might not have wanted this, but you did let it happen! You did nothing to try and stop it! Even if you somehow do manage to get away with all of this, you'll never get rid of that guilt. What you and your 'friends' have done will haunt you to your very last breath!" I shout angrily, still pacing around. "H- how could you! H- how-"

Before I can finish my sentence, I feel two arms locking me in a tight embrace and I start to sob uncontrollably. I don't even try to break free anymore, I'm just too tired. I'm completely drained of energy. "I never wanted to do this!" He tightens his arms around me, as if he's afraid I'll suddenly disappear into thin air. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"

For a moment we stand still like that, before I free myself from out of his grip. I look at the boy who's now crying in front of me. I want to scream at him that saying sorry won't undo anything. And I want to punch him, but I just can't. I clear my throat, before locking my eyes with his. "I'm getting the fuck out of here. You can't stop me, you'd have to kill me."

He opens his mouth to object, but I've already turned around, my back now facing him. I start to walk, afraid he'll attack me from behind. But instead, he calls out my name, "Maysa." I stop and stand still, but don't turn around to look at him. "Remember the previous time you left, when you told me to make up my mind and asked me to come with you and I wouldn't.. I've made up my mind.. let me go with you now."

Slowly I turn back around to face him, slightly shocked upon hearing his words. He's stopped crying and looks at me, desperately waiting for me to say something. I open my mouth to speak, only to realize that I'm out of words. Instead of responding, I turn and start walking away. I listen, but don't hear him follow behind me. "Well, didn't you just say you've made up your mind?" I say, continuing to walk, not looking back. I hear him sigh out of relief and he quickly catches up with me. I wipe away the tears and look straigh ahead of me. I'll find Jenny and we're getting out of here alive, all three of us.