Chapter 14

I slowly walk over to Jenny and Steve, who have given me a ride to the beach, squinting my eyes in suspicion. They are searching through their stuff as if they are looking for something, "what's wrong?"

"The beach bag is gone." Jenny answers, a hint of panic in her voice.

"I don't believe it, it's got the car keys in it." I can hear the frustration in Steve's voice, "please, god, don't tell me.." He rushes off the beach and into the woods. Jenny and I exchange a look before hurrying after him. We stop at the spot where we had left the car, but the car isn't there. Steve throws his hands up in anger, "fuck! Fuck, fuck!" He spins around, before turning to us, "come on, we need to find our car."

I immediately shake my head, knowing who are responsible for the disappearance of the car, "no, that's not a good idea. Let's just go back and call the police." I suggest, causing Jenny to nod in agreement. But Steve doesn't listen to a single word I've said as he starts to walk deeper into the forest. Jenny follows and so do I. I can't just let the gang terrorize this couple. I can't get myself to leave without knowing they'll get their stuff back. After walking for a little while, we hear a car driving behind us, nearing closer. The three of us spin around and immediately jump out of the way, just in time, almost being run over by Brett, who is now driving in Jenny and Steve's car. The car stops a little in front of us. Brett looks out of the window with a smirk on his face, sunglasses covering his eyes. He continues to smirk at us, before driving off further into the woods.

"Losers!" Cooper's voice echoes through the trees as the car disappears from view once again

"Well," I begin, "that went great, didn't it? We nearly got killed. It's time to go back."

"No." Steve says, "I'm not gonna run away from a bunch of teenagers."

I sigh in defeat, knowing that nothing I'll say or do will change his mind. Jenny then turns to me, "you should leave."

I shake my head, "no, I'm not leaving. I want to make sure you get your stuff back." I start walking, but hear a voice in the back of my head, telling me that I should turn around and leave. But I ignore it and shrug it off, going deeper into the forest with every step I take.

****

We have been walking for quite a long time now. My feet start to hurt and there is nothing but darkness all around us. It is so dark, that we can barely see a thing. The only source of light we have, is the moonlight that shines down upon us through the trees. Never did I know, that the forest could be this creepy. Taking another step, I hear the sound of glass breaking. Looking down, I can see empty beer bottles scattered all over the ground next to a tree. "It's them. They must be close."

"Good, come on." Steve urges us to keep on walking, but Jenny and I both stay still, not wanting to move.

"No." Jenny shakes her head, "let's just leave it."

"They've got our car." He looks at her in disbelief.

I, on the other hand, feel very tempted to turn around and go home. But I can't bring myself to do so, afraid that something might happen and the thought of me not being there to prevent whatever is going to happen, is enough to make me stay. We continue walking and stop after a few minutes, as we hear voices in the distance. I see Jenny slow down a little in fear as Steve marches forwards, not seeming to be afraid at all. We walk into the direction of where the voices are coming from and come to a halt. The kids are standing in a small clearing, a fire flickering in the middle. Cooper takes a sip out of a bottle and Harry holds onto the leash of an agressive looking rottweiler, that instantly starts to violently bark at us. Jenny and I stay at the back as Steve walks even closer to them.

"Brett." Paige calls out his name, motioning for him to look our way. He turns his head to us, the light of the fire they've made making him look even more sinister. Sunglasses cover his eyes and I see the reflection of the flames flickering in the dark glasses. The other kids all turn to us, standing behind Brett.

"Listen," Steve begins, "I don't care what you're up to here

"Listen," Steve begins, "I don't care what you're up to here. I just want my car back."

"It's not us, mate."

"Steve, come on, let's leave it." Jenny once again tries to get him to leave, but to no avail.

He squints his eyes at the boy before him, "you're wearing my shades."

"They're mine, mate." He says, taking off the glasses.

"Your Ray Ban Aviators?" Steve asks, clearly not believing a word he says.

"Fakes, mate."

I shake my head disapprovingly and roll my eyes at Brett's attitude. I look around to see the other boys glance at us, at each other, at Brett and back at us. Harry glances my way and it almost looks as if he has a look of fear on his face.

"Listen," Steve tries again, catching my attention, "you've had your fun. Let's just call it quits."

I ignore the fear as I step forwards, stopping next to Steve, who is the most stubborn man I have ever met in my life so far, "you can't reason with them. Believe me, I know them. You might think they are just some stupid teenagers that are messing around, but you got it all wrong. You don't know them like I do. Let's go." I say, trying to talk some sense into him. Steve and Brett continue staring each other down, not saying a word. The only thing that can be heard is the flickering of the flames and the dog barking loudly.

"Tell me where the car is."

The dog pulls at the leash agressively and I almost jump up in fear. "Keep that animal back." Steve hisses and for the first time, I can hear a hint of fear in his voice, "where's my fucking car?"

"I've got no idea, mate."

The dog pulls onto the leash again and I see Harry struggle to control the animal.

"Watch your fucking dog!"

"Watch yours!" Paige snaps at him, putting a cigarette between her lips.

"What did you say?"

I feel completely useless and powerless as I see the situation escalating right in front of my very own eyes. Before anyone can say another word, we hear a phone ring and I see anger appearing on Steve's face, "that's my phone."

"Steve." I hear Jenny in the background, sounding scared.

"Got the same ringtone as me?" Steve charges at the boy, in an attempt to get back his phone. I see Ricky pull out a pocket knife, moving towards Steve and Brett. My eyes widen as I know what his intensions are. I take a deep breath, building up enough courage, before rushing towards Ricky, my heart pounding in my chest.