four // code red

"Soo Max. You and Lucas huh?" You give your new best friend a wink as you watch her face turn red. "It's complicated. He's kind of a douche." She says. You laugh. "How did you guys get together in the first place?" You ask her. She immediately turns away and puts her head down. She's hiding something. "I-it's complicated. Shared trauma and emotional bonding I guess." You raise an eyebrow at the words shared trauma. This was your first sleepover with Max, and even if Brenner would want you to ask her questions and read her mind right now, you have to remember to not ask too many questions. You know Billy didn't die in a car accident , or Will wasn't lost in the woods, but it's best to take it slow sometimes. "Anyways," Max says, changing the subject. "I heard 2 people like you at school." "What? Who? I haven't even been here a month!" You say, pure curiosity striking you. "Well, one of them is that jock, (crush's name) ." She says. "Really? Wow. He's cute and all, but terrible temper. But fuck it you know, maybe I'll go on a date with him." You say, blushing a bit. Blushing? Blushing? Why am I feeling like a normal teenager right now? This is not good. I'm not here for that guy. "And the second one, well, I can't tell you the second one." Max says giggling. "What?! Why not Max?!" She continues to laugh uncontrollably. At this point curiosity gets the best of you. You pretend to look at a Vogue magazine on Max's bed, but you concentrate on her thoughts. You feel a light trickle of blood go down your nose as you begin reading her thoughts.

I wonder if she would date Will. I hope she would. This is the first girl that he's ever liked and he's never had a girlfriend. I think that's what he needs. I hope she doesn't start asking questions about me and Lucas trauma. The upside downs too much to explain.

You break from her thoughts and your eyes widen in shock. First off, Will liked you. Will! Will fucking Byers! What the hell. And secondly, they called it the upside down? Pft. That's such a childish name. What did they call the creature, the boogiemonster? You laugh to yourself and then realize you hadn't wiped the blood of your nose. "Y-yn..your nose..it's." Max says. Clearly she's seen this before. "Oh shit haha. Probably the weather changes making it bleed you know?" You say. She smiles nervously. You make your way to the bathroom and wipe it off. You close the door behind you and take off your bracelets. All of them were normal bracelets to cover your 012 brand, but one was different. It has a small button and radio attached. This was an emergency transmitter that connected back to the Russian base. Can't risk getting that wet, right? You look at yourself in the mirror. What the hell am I doing with myself?

"CODE RED! I REPEAT CODE RED! MAX DO YOU COPY? I REPEAT! A code RED!" Your snapped out of your thoughts by a frantic Lucas screaming on the radio. "CODE RED MAX! ITS THE GATE! I REPEAT THE GATE!" You watch as Max runs out of her room, grabs the radio and shuts the door. She sees you in the doorway and quickly says, "Sorry! Private Conversation!" You nod your head and attempt to listen, but you can't hear anything. He said the gate. What's going on? Then, you feel it. A stabbing, cold feeling in the back of your neck, crawling through your body and making it feel like ice. You panick as you press the button on your bracelet and begin whispering in Russian. "I feel the cold feeling. I think the boy has to. They issued a code red having to do with the gate over radios. What is going on down there?" There's a slight pause as you hold the bracelet over the sink, desperate for an answer. Next thing you know, you hear General Adrick. "There's a gate opening in Hawkins. We didn't see it coming. Help them close it. This is your time to also get the girl and blame it on the gate. Over and signing off." You throw the bracelet in the sink in anger. Then Max, exists her room, wearing a vest and running shoes. "Max? What's going on?" You ask. She sighs. "Look. I have to go. Family emergency. Lucas said my parents- were in a- accident. Yeah. I have to go sorry bye!" She says frantically. "Wait! Max! Let me go with you!" You say, chasing her outside as she gets on her bike. "NO! Go home! PLEASE!" She then rides off, leaving you on the sidewalk.

You debate on wheather you should follow her or go to the base. If it's just the feeling, the gate opening, they should be fine. What you lack is information, awareness. You need to go to the base. Now.