nineteen // is this really the end?

She jumps in front of you, and as you fall back against a wall of slimy upside down muck, Hopper screams her name. She turns and smiles, the brightest smile you've ever seen her hold. She's about 100 meters away from you, closer to the Hawkins base. And you force the weakness in your body to subside, you know what you need to do. Only you can kill the monster, and only Elle can close the gate. "Go with her! Take my mom!" You say to Hopper, handing him Joyce's extra rifle with shaking hands. "If you want to kill this thing alone you can't, you're too weak-." He starts, "Don't tell me what I can and cannot do!" You say, swiping the dried blood from your nose and heading away, ignoring the burning pain in your heart of your mothers screams to let her go. She was alive, that's what mattered. You start opening the gasoline packets in your jacket, preparing to fight this monster, when Elle screams your name. "Y/N! Don't! He'll die!" You duck quickly under an arm of the flayer. You didn't know what Elle was talking about, but nothing was more important right now than you taking the opportunity to finally kill this monster. With its distaction between Elle and you, it would be easy. So you continue to prepare to fight, but with a heartbreaking scream Elle says, "Will is going to die if you don't come here now!" You drop the gasoline in shock. The cold feeling in the back of your neck eailer, no way was Will able to push it out to easily. It doesn't take long for your legs to start moving on their own; and although your head screams at you to stay and fight, you couldn't live after this if Will died because you weren't there. The Monster starts to chase after the both of you, and you use small attacks to keep it at a safe distance. But the next moment you find yourself falling into Mikes arms, and he's crying. He helps you up on the other side of the glass. "Please... save.. save him." Joyce says, behind him, carrying a passed out Will in her arms. "I—I don't know how long I have but— I'll try," You say. Not too long after Hopper bursts into the room, and although Joyce is worried for her son her and Elle take the time to wrap their arms around him. What a bittersweet reunion, you think, hands hovering over Wills soft skin. He's cold— cold like the dead bodies of people Brenner forced you to kill— and your skin squirms. With a shaky exhale, you release heat energy onto the back of his neck. Once, twice, three times.

And your heart drops.
He's not waking up.
Everyone in the room grows silent as you come to that conclusion, and you desperately feel for his pulse.

"Please... Y/N..." Mike is saying next to you, his voice is breaking in tears, "I cant.. I cant loose him... not again. I promised I wouldn't loose him."

Nothing.
No, No, No.
This cant be right.

So you heat his neck again, tears falling down onto his shirt.

The Mind flayer a footsteps are getting closer. It's probably less than half a mile away from the glass that is already half cracked.

If only I got here sooner. I could have saved him, now everyone will die because I wasn't quick enough- i wasn't- if only I-

A beat. Then another. Wills lips fade from blue to a pinkish red. He's alive. Barley alive, but alive. You choke a sob, and Joyce comes crashing down to you, whispering thank-yous all while never letting go of Hoppers hand. You look down at your own and find Wills there. You dont remember intertwining your fingers with his, but although his eyes are closed still you feel a small squeeze when Hopper says, "Thank God." And that's enough thanks for you. He's going to be okay.

Then the glass shatters. Dustin screams, the mind flayers arm barley inching past him as Steve pulls him to the wall, protectively standing in front of the teenagers. You get up simultaneously with Elle, and a nod with her is all you need to now. Turning back to Mike, who's standing by Will, you yell, "Get him out of here! He needs a doctor!" He looks back at Elle for a moment, then again to Will. "But Elle! I have to stay for Elle!" He cries, obviously torn as Joyce starts to fire bullets at the monster. Your heart breaks for him, having to choose between the girl he loves and his lifelong best friend, but nevertheless you yell back, "Don't worry about her, she's with me." You say it with a laugh, "Promise me; you won't let anything bad happen to her!" He screams against the sounds of shattered glass and bullets, it seems some of the American troops from earlier have come. "I swear it!" You say, taking Elles hand into your own, and he nods, picking up Will in his arms and running out alongside Max, Lucas, and Dustin. You fish for a random American solider, your hand locked on your mothers wrist. She lets you pull her aside, she's weak and confused, her eyes dazed and you pull her to a troop. "She was in captivity, take her to safety." You say, and the man nods. You look into your mothers eyes and for a second you saw the old her, the old her that brushed your hair and watched TV with you, the old her that hummed in your ear to make nightmares go away. The her before your fathers "accidental" car crash, the her before Brenner came along and tortured her. You start to wrap your arms around her, because it might be the last time you get to do it, but the moment your face lands in her chest and that look is gone. Replaced with an empty, confused, and cold shell of what was once your mother. The man drags her away, and you're snapped back into reality when a grenade is thrown at the flayer.