Chapter One.

So here's the new story! Eeep! I still can't believe the amount of support Angel With a Crossbow got and I hope you all like this story too. It does start off in season two but that is when I started writing this and I've just recently found it again and as you're probably going to realise, the main character's weapon is also going to be a bow and arrow. Just cause I like them so much :')

Also, just to clarify, the italics at the beginning are a flashback! Hope you all enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------

"Mom, we have to get you to the hospital!" I cried, gaping at the large chunk of her stomach that had been taken just moments ago by who I thought, was our neighbour Christine.

"No Sarah," she gasped, using all of her energy to sit up, "You need to get yourself out of here. Out of the city."

"But what about you?" I sobbed, "I'm not leaving you!"

We had made it this far together without any problems or injuries but now that I had taken my eye off the ball for just five minutes, my mother was going to die and become one of those things!

Her hand came up to push some hair out of my eyes, "You keep going. Get to Hershel's farm like we planned. Promise me you'll go."

I sobbed harder as her eyes slipped shut and I gently took the hand that was on my face, pressing a light kiss to it. "Okay," I whispered, "I promise. I love you mom."

She didn't reply and I noticed that her breathing had stopped completely so with shaking hands, I picked up my small pistol and checked how many bullets were left.

One.

Letting out another shaky sigh, I pressed the gun to her temple and pulled the trigger.

********************

So that's what I was doing, walking through the forest, on my way to the Greene's farm while keeping an eye out for any sort of threat when I suddenly heard a scream. A scream of a young girl.

When I heard approaching footsteps, I leapt behind a tree making sure to keep quiet just in case it wasn't the little girl I was hearing. Just as I ducked behind it, the girl, who was maybe eleven or twelve, ran by just a few feet ahead of me.

The girl was clad in a blue shirt and her blonde hair was whipping about as she turned to look at whatever was chasing her.

A few moments later, I finally clocked eyes on the two undead beings that were chasing the poor girl and quickly followed, pulling my knife from my belt as I did so. I followed until I got a little closer to one of the dead things, wrapping my arm around it's neck before plunging my knife into it's soft skull before letting it fall to the ground.

"Rick!" I heard the young girl cry out and this time, it was coming from my left so I began running in that direction, swatting at the branches and such that got in my way and I heard the growling first, which caused me to come to a standstill and I spun around in my spot, spotting the lone being.

But where was the girl?

I then heard the sound of weeping and when I glanced up, I was relieved to see that the girl had managed to climb up onto a low branch but if any more time was wasted, she was going to become that thing's dinner.

Wasting no more of that precious time, I pulled my trusty bow from my back and an arrow from my sheath and loaded it up, shooting at the thing, impaling it onto the tree.

The little girl's head shot up and I gave her a small smile. "Hi," I said quietly, taking a cautious step towards the base of the tree; I didn't want to scare the child into running away again, "It's okay. You can come down now. You're safe."

The blonde stared at me for a long time before glancing down at the body, "Are you sure it's dead?"

Giving her another -what I hoped was- another kind smile, I nodded, "Yes, but if makes you feel better, I can move it." Without waiting for an answer, I pulled the arrow from the thing's head making it slump down onto the ground. After cleaning it and returning it to my sheath, I grabbed one of the ankles before dragging it behind another tree.

"You gonna come down now?" I asked, returning to the bottom of the tree the little girl was residing in, "I'm not going to hurt you. I promise."

She looked unsure but began moving before stopping suddenly, "What's your name?"

"Sarah, you?"

The girl climbed down slowly, "Sophia."

"Okay Sophia," I mumbled, "Now, I'm guessing that you ain't out here alone. Do you want me to help you find your way back? I heard you calling for someone called Rick, is he your brother?"

She shook her head, "No. He's a man in our group. There was a herd of walkers. We hid under the cars on the highway. I came out too early and they chased me."

Group? She had a group. I had been on my own for a while now and it'd be nice to be in a group instead of on my own.

"Right," I began, "Well where did you last see Rick?"

"He left me under a ledge in the creek near the highway." she murmured.

Chances are, the group were all out looking for her but it was already getting dark and if they didn't hurry, they'd lose the light and I didn't really want to be wandering around in the dark. I was torn; I obviously wanted to get Sophia back to her group but I also wanted to get back to the cabin I had found for the night and then continue on my way to the Greene's farm tomorrow.

It had gotten darker as I had been thinking and Sophia had moved ever so closer to me, glancing around anxiously and that's what helped me make my choice. "Okay," I mumbled, looking down at her, "You think you can show me where he left you?"

************************

It was almost pitch black and we were still wandering around. I thought and as much as I wanted to get her back to the group, I didn't want to put Sophia in any danger by wandering about at night.

"I can't remember where the creek was." the little girl stuttered, and I noticed that she was getting upset.

"Hey," I murmured, crouching down to her height, "Listen, don't get upset, okay? I think we should stop for the night, get some rest and I promise you that first thing tomorrow morning, I will get you back to your group."

Sophia frowned, "Where are we going to sleep?"

"Well," I began, "I found this cabin the other night and I know that it isn't too far from here. It's safe and it's dry and if anything, it'll do us for the night. Or would you rather walk around in the dark?"

She quickly shook her head.

"Well that's it settled. We can sleep there tonight."

"Promise?" she asked, bottom lip trembling.

"Pinky swear." I held up my smallest finger, grinning when her smaller pinky wrapped around it.

**********************

This will start of rather slow but I'm posting another chapter after this as I have it typed up!