Chapter Forty Two.

Rick had called for us all to have a meeting soon to discuss what they had talked about inside the barn and while we were waiting for that to happen, I went out into the yard to help with the restoration of the gates.

Daryl was sat carving some arrows out of sticks, he always wanted to have some spares lying around just in case he ran out of proper ones. He looked up at the sound of my approaching footsteps.

"Hey," he mumbled as I stood in front of him, "Wha' are ye' doin'?"

"I'm gonna go take a look at the gates and try and think of ways to keep the walkers out. Maybe try and find something we can use as a temporary gate until we manage to fix them properly."

"Hold on an' I'll come wi' ye'."

I waited until he was finished with his arrow and he got up, the two of us making our way down towards the destroyed gate.

"Hey," he said quietly, making me look up at him, "Tha' Martinez guy...did he and you, I don't know, talk or anythin' while ye' were at Woodbury?"

I shrugged, "Not really. I said hi to him once or twice but that was it. Why?"

"No reason," he said quietly, "He jus' seemed a little keen on ye'."

"Keen on me?"

"Yeah. 'nd ye' liked his trick wi' the baseball bat." he continued, his eyes looking anywhere but me.

"Daryl?" I said quietly, "Are you jealous?"

"Wha? No! What is there to be jealous of?"

Giggling to myself, I pulled him to a stop and made him look down at me, "I'll admit it. I was a little impressed. Just a tiny bit. But I have to say, what you did with your knife...I like that a lot more."

"How much more?" he asked, his hands coming to rest on my waist, pulling me closer to his warm body.

"So much more." I whispered, my lips brushing his as I spoke and I let him kiss me.

What I wasn't expecting was for him to deepen the kiss, hands sliding into my hair while mine gripped the front of his shirt.

He pulled away slightly and glanced behind me, chewing on his bottom lip.

"What?" I asked, "Was that...did I do something wrong?"

"No," he mumbled, "It's jus' I don't really feel comfortable doin' this with an audience."

An audience? I turned to where he was looking and saw that there were countless walkers pressed against the fence along with a few that were slowly making their way into the field and a couple were relatively close to us.

I pulled out my knife only for him to take it from me, "I got this."

He threw my knife and then got his own, throwing that too.

"Oh my god." I whispered and he turned to look at me again, "Daryl Dixon, I have never wanted you more."

He shrugged and went to retrieve the knives, "Tha' bus is righ' there if ye' wanna go for it."

I gave him a hard shove, feeling my face heat up. It wasn't like him to be so forward.

Carl then appeared at the top of the hill, calling us up for the meeting.

"No?" Daryl asked, handing me my knife before wrapping his arm around my shoulder, leading me towards the prison, "Alrigh' but don't say I never offered."

****************

The whole group had gathered in our cell block; Maggie and Beth were sat on the stairs with Hershel. Carol was hovering close by with Carl and Judith while I was sat above them on the catwalk, Daryl pacing behind me.