Chapter Fifty.

The others let me sleep until we got closer to the prison and Daryl shook me awake just as we were driving up the road leading up to it.

I wiped my eyes and got my bag ready, knowing that we were going to be going running straight to A to get the medicine to those who need it.

But as we drove into the yard after being let in by Carl, we noticed that something wasn't right. The fences were down by one of the guard towers and there were tons of walker's bodies laying all over the ground.

"Jesus," Daryl breathed, as Rick came over to greet us, "Wha' the hell happened here?" He then handed me his bag, "Get 'em into A. The rest will be there in a bit."

I nodded and quickly followed Tyreese down to the isolation block and walking in, the first thing that hit us was the overwhelming smell of blood and death and then there were more bodies in here.

We were too late for some people.

"Sarah?" I looked up to see Maggie leaning over the railing and I remembered that Glenn was in here.

"Is Glenn okay?" I asked, quickly climbing up the stairs, "Maggie, tell me he's okay."

"He is," she breathed, "We thought we were going to lose him for a bit but...he's okay."

"Thank god." I whispered, quickly wrapping her into a hug. "We got them." I said, holding up my bag, "Everything we need."

"Bring them in here!" Hershel called, "We need to administer these now before we lose anyone else. Sarah, will you go outside and get us some more water and then get some rest. All of you. We've had a tough couple of days."

I told Maggie I'd be back in a bit before hurrying back outside.

I was filling one of our containers with water when Daryl came over, quickly followed by Zeus, who ran up to greet me.

"Hey boy!" I grinned, scratching behind his ears, "Did you miss me?"

He barked happily and licked my chin and Daryl rolled his eyes before grabbing Zeus' collar to pull him off of me, "How is it in there?"

I frowned and picked up the container, "Pretty bad. I think we've lost quite a lot of people. Almost lost Glenn too but Hershel managed to save him."

"Good," he mumbled, "'m gonna come in 'nd help in a bit."

"There's no point." I smiled, "Hershel's just gonna send you back out. He wants everyone to get some rest. I slept in the car, so 'm gonna stay a little longer."

"Ye' sure?" he asked, "Ye' didn't really sleep tha' long."

I smiled and turned to go back into A, "Okay. I'll come out after I've gave this to Hershel."

"Ye' better," he mumbled, looking down at the dog, "C'mon Fleabag. Let's find an empty cell to sleep in."

************

I ended up staying to help for a little longer; making sure that Hershel didn't need my help with anything else before going to get some more rest.

I found Daryl in an empty cell, fast asleep with Zeus laying on the floor beside the bed and I kicked off my shoes .

As I climbed over him to get onto the bed, his eyes fluttered open and he gave me a lazy smile. "Well," he mumbled, "This is a nice way to wake up."

I giggled quietly to myself and fell down onto the bed beside him, leaning up to give him a kiss, "I thought you were sleeping."

"Nah," he breathed, "I was, but yer dog keeps snorin'."

I looked over him at Zeus, who was now looking at the two of us, his tail wagging when he noticed me, "He's probably dreaming."

Sighing, Daryl took a hold of my arm and looked at the scratch, "When I saw this...I didn't really know what to think."

"Me neither," I mumbled, "Well, no that's a lie. I thought it was from a walker. But then I realised that I had lasted all night."

He nodded, turning onto his side, "Go to sleep. Ye' did good today."

"We all did." I said, "Well..."

"Forget 'bout it. Like Ty said, he's made his choice. Won't be askin' him to help me wi' anythin' anytime soon."

I smiled again to myself and got comfortable, resting my head on the pillow close to his, just watching as he drifted off to sleep.

"I can feel ye' starin' at me," he said after a couple of minutes silence, a smile twitching at his lips, "Cut it out 'nd go to sleep."

"I can't help it," I giggled, "You're just so pretty."

"Jesus," he muttered and wrapped his arm around, pulling me closer to him so my head was resting on his chest, "Go to sleep."

I finally relaxed and closed my eyes.

"By the way," he then said, "I ain't pretty."

**************

The next day, Cell Block A was silent since Hershel was outside taking a breather.

I had offered to watch over some of the people who were still in here. Glenn was still resting but Sasha and a few others had gotten better and had all left.

Maggie had stepped out for a little bit of air too and so I was sat with Glenn in his cell and we were talking when what sounded like an explosion sounded from outside.

"What was that?" he asked quietly, trying to sit up but he broke out into another harsh cough.

"I don't know."

"Go see," he then said, closing his eyes.

I hesitated but started going down the stairs, only to stop when I heard someone coughing in another cell and looking down at the watch Hershel had given me, I realised that it was time to give them all another dose of medicine.

Chewing on my lip, I decided that what was going on outside would have to wait; the lives of these people mattered more.

It was only when I was giving Jeanette her medicine that I heard gunfire sounding and I quickly got up from the place I was sat on the floor and ran out of the block.

As I ran, I saw one of Rick's shovels lying on the ground and quickly picked it up just in case I needed it.

Had the fences collapsed and let the walkers that were pressed against them into the grounds? Or was it something worse?

I ran around the corner, ducking down behind a filing cabinet to get a better look out onto the field.

I felt my heart drop when I realised that we were being attacked and there were people and vehicles littered all over the field.

"Oh my god," I whispered as I recognised the person leading them all.

The Governor.