Chapter 27

“Jeremy?” Amanda clung on to Jeremy’s arm. All she could see was an endless blackness, “I feel funny.”

            “Me too,” a puzzled expression appeared on Jeremy’s face. “Something doesn’t feel right. Anyway, where are we? All I see I pitch black. What happened? I can’t remember a thing. The last thing I can recall is landing on the island of the sirens, and I’m pretty sure this isn’t it.”

            “No, it isn’t,” Amanda worriedly confirmed. “I grew up there, and I know my way around. If we were there, I would smell the salty sea and feel the sand beneath my feet,” Amanda wiggled her toes. All of a sudden, Amanda’s glanced up at where she though Jeremy was, horror in her voice, “Jeremy, where are my shoes?”

            “You took them off at the beach, remember?” Jeremy let out a forced laugh.

            “Yeah,” Amanda once more began, still horrified. She quickly pulled her hand away from Jeremy’s bare arm, “but where is my shirt? And my pants?”

            “Oh my gods!” this time Jeremy had the same extreme revulsion in his voice, “I’m not wearing clothes, either!”

            “What happened, Jeremy?” tears started streaming down Amanda’s eyes. She was confused, scared, nude, and she couldn’t remember anything. “Please tell me the truth, Jeremy, please!”

            “I don’t know, Amanda, honestly,” Jeremy hated to see Amanda cry, but he didn’t know what to do. He was just as helpless as she was.

            All of a sudden, a bright light shone in the distance. Now there was no longer blackness, but what they saw was very similar to blackness. It was an endless blank path extending in all directions. I would describe a color, but there was none. This is the only way to describe such a nothingness, an emptiness, a pretermission.

            The two comrades covered up as best as they could using their hands, now that they could see each other in all of their nudeness. They tried to look away, but as you would find in their desperate situation, it is impossible not to when what you’re trying not to look at is the absolute only thing within vision.

            “W- what’s that?” Amanda stuttered, turning her attention to the bright light. It looked as if it was the silhouette of a literally radiating well built man with broad shoulders and a fast pace, for the light was drawing nearer and nearer with each passing second.

            “Amanda, we’re saved!” Jeremy started jumping up and down like a child about to open his presents on Christmas morning.

            “What?” extreme hope filled up underneath Amanda’s bright hazel eyes. In many cases Amanda was a courageous, powerful soul, but at the moment she was a frightened and helpless child, depending on solely Jeremy.

            “I believe,” Jeremy’s smile widened as he spoke, “that that is Hermes.”

            “Then you believed correctly,” the deep vociferous voice of Hermes said from behind them, making the pair jump. Somehow, while they were talking, Hermes had snuck up behind them.