Chapter twenty

Gauri could feel the cool morning sea breeze fan her face. 

They had forgotten to shut the large windows yesterday night; they were too occupied to bother.

She smiled as she thought of yesterday night, a smile that spread through her entire body, like the love of the man who was sleeping beside her.

Or was he?

The last thing Gauri remembered was Omkaraji snuggling behind her, and putting his head on top of hers, sleeping off.

But she couldn't feel him now. 

She turned to see him, sitting up, and doodling in the sketchbook. 

He looked so...attractive, his long hair slightly tousled, his shirtless form, fully concentrating on his art. 

Art! That brought Gauri's head out of the clouds. 

He was back to his art. Leaving her sleeping. She thought yesterday night was special, and she would wake up to find him beside her. But he went back to his first love. 

These artist type men can't be trusted, thought Gauri.

She felt unreasonably ired and hurt, when her eyes noticed his drawing through his arms. 

First she saw long tresses, then a bare shoulder, then a pair of closed eyes, and it went on, the figure of a woman. A woman who Gauri knew well. 

He was drawing her. How she looked when she slept this morning, probably. 

Gauri blushed, and turned away from him again, her back facing him.

"I knew that artists are eccentric, but this is really pushing it" said Gauri, sounding amused.

"You are awake" noticed Omkara. 

He put down his sketchbook and pencil on the side table, and lied down beside her, snaking his arm around her waist from behind. 

"Good morning" he said, as he snuggled his face in the crook of her neck. 

"Good morning" replied Gauri, as her skin tickled. 

"Eccentric or not, if I don't sketch my wife, then who else?" said Omkara, warmly. 

"Like this?" asked Gauri, cocking an eyebrow.

"Like this, because only I can" said Omkara, as he kissed her cheek. 

"Badmaash (Naughty)" said Gauri, and giggled. 

"Gauri, can I ask you something?" Omkara said cautiously.

"Hmm" Gauri said.

"Did you mean it?" asked Omkara, careful, trying to sound neutral.

Gauri couldn't see his face, but from his tone, she knew what exactly he was asking. 

Yesterday, when she had reached her crest, in the throes of passion, she had breathed out what was in her heart. 

"I love you" 

Those words now embarrassed her, not because she didn't feel them, but because of how they poured out. 

While Omkaraji had confessed his love to her, so romantically, under the shower from the heavens above, Gauri sounded like a wanton woman to herself, presently in the light of the day.

Well, she would have to face up to her mortification sometime, better do it now.

She turned to face Omkaraji, and said, "Yes, I meant it, Omkaraji. I do love you."