Chapter eleven

Omkara noticed his wife frowning as they waited for their private jet to take off. 

She had expressed the least surprise seeing the entourage of Oberoi staff and private jet waiting to take them from Delhi. 

He wondered what was going on in that mind of hers. 

Gauri didn't allow herself any second thoughts. 

She could have easily send him away, and retreated to her safe home, with her kids. 

Except that he came back for her. 

Despite what she had to undergo, and more likely because of what she had to undergo, Gauri's faith on her Shankarji had never wavered. 

She was unsure of what to do, when she bowed her head before him. When she opened her eyes, it was to see that Jatadhaari Hippie had returned to Bareilly. 

For her. 

Gauri saw it as her Shankarji's sign. If her Shankarji wanted her to go with Jatadhaari Hippie, who was she to deny his wishes?

She had tried so hard to get rid of Shehri babu. Mocked him from the first day he entered the village, humiliated him, whipped him, burnt his paintings of her. Yet, despite everything, he came for her. Despite everything, fate conspired to keep them colliding with each other. 

She had given up her fight against destiny. 

Her father used to talk about the purity and sanctity of the marital bond, in context of ShivParvati. 

Gauri wouldn't let her father's teachings down. She had embraced her destiny. She would try her best to fulfill her commitment to this relation. 

But how was she to do this, if she didn't know her husband at all?

It was that thought that kept eating at her mind since yesterday. 

"What is wrong?" asked Omkara.

Gauri turned to him, with a strange look in her eyes. 

"I don't know anything about you" she said surprised. 

Omkara looked at her concerned. 

"I...I don't know anything about your family. I don't know whether you had, or have, someone special waiting for you back home, whether you are already engaged, or in love with someone. I don't know why you came to the village, what made you leave your home. I don't know anything" explained Gauri.

"You think something made me leave home?" asked Omkara. 

"Well, why would someone, who has the picture-perfect life, at least to the world, come and live in a village in Bareilly, for so many days? It is obvious something made you leave your family, maybe you fought with them, maybe someone close, hurt you" said Gauri. 

She wasn't prying. Her tone was clear; she was stating a fact. 

"Then you already know me very well" said Omkara, with a wry smile. "And I don't have anyone....special waiting for me back home. Unless you count my mother."

"You love your mother a lot" stated Gauri, matter-of-factly.

"Immensely" said Omkara. 

"Who hurt her?" Gauri almost whispered. 

Omkara was slightly surprised. How did she know?

His voice was soaked in pain, it wasn't hard to guess, thought Gauri.

"My father. I think my 'story' begins and ends with what my father did to my mother. He broke her" said Omkara, the hatred he felt for his father resurfacing.