CHAPTER FOURTEEN: LAUNDRY ROOM CONVERSATIONS

I stare at the clear circular door of the dorm building washing machine and watch as the clothing spins around and around. And . . . flop. And . . . flop. And . . . flop. The clothing flops down from the top more than it loops around.

     "I could have just done this when I get home," Savannah grumbles.

     "No." Stephanie clicks her gum. "I'm not letting your sweaty clothes stink up the back of my car."

     Savannah folds her arms as she leans against the dryer. "When was the last time you washed you're ratty ass hair?"

     Stephanie grasps the bun on top of her head before she slaps Savannah's arm. Then, they proceed to continue slapping and yelling at each other in Spanish, which always leads to Savannah making fun of Stephanie's Spanglish. Something about growing up with only one Puerto Rican parent opposed to two. All the while Megan and I trade shrugs and smiles like we always do when this happens.

     Megan stretches her arm out and waves a sock between them. "Are y'all done yet?"

     "Y'all!" we all shout back at her.

     Her face instantly clicks back into neutral while we all laugh. Her eyes are her only sign of fury as she blinks back at us before she casts her gaze back down on her phone. It's only when the washing machine beeps that Savannah pats Megan's legs. Megan twists her body slightly so Savannah can open the dryer door below her butt.

     My butt happens to be on the gross basement floor, but I'm wearing sweatpants and brought a towel to sit on. The towel is more useful under my butt than the notebook I have perched between my legs and stomach. I brought it to make myself feel better about hanging out down here instead of studying.

     "How the hell does your butt fit into this?" Stephanie holds a pair of Savannah's shorts up to her legs. "They literally fit my arm." She barely shoves her arm through one of the leg slots before Savannah rips them back and tosses them in her basket. "You don't know what it's like to have boobs," Stephanie continues as brings her hands up to cup her chest before she glances behind her. "Or an ass."

     Savannah smacks Stephanie's butt with a t-shirt, and that makes her gasp and hop up onto the other dryer in the corner.

     I lean my head back against the wall behind me, but still can't bring myself to read the words in front of me. The dryer continues to churn and rumble under Megan, but the only other sound in the room is when Stephanie blows a bubble with her gum and it pops.

     "What is that?" Stephanie whispers before she hops off the dryer. "What is that?" she asks a little louder now as she snatches something dark out of Savannah's basket.

     Savannah turns around from the clothing pile she's formed on the washing machine next to her. "That's not mine . . . I swear," she hisses after Stephanie whispers something in her ear. "It's not."

     I look up from where I zoned out on the floor to find a dark cheetah print bra lined with thick black lace dangling off Stephanie's fingers. We trade wide eyes before all our heads turn to the petite brunette still perched on top of the dryer.

     "What?" Megan glances up from her phone.

     "Care to explain?" Savannah points her finger just as Stephanie raises the bra higher up in the air.

     I've never seen Megan move so fast nor have her almond shaped eyes widened so much.

     "Megan!" Savannah yells.